Menu

How to teach efficiency

One of my twins is undergoing the battery of testing to see what is going on with him. I thought it would be a clear cut case of ADD but so far the testing does not support that. It is showing a processing issue, but we are continuing to do some other testing for that. The clinical psychologist wants us to work on the idea of working efficiently for the next few weeks both in academic settings and non academic areas. Short of timed math tests (which result in a shut down child), I cannot think of anything that would be a fun idea. Anyone have some fun ideas?

I'm not sure how to teach efficiency, but I recommend Cheaper by the Dozen as a read aloud. It is a great way to introduce the concept of efficiency. The old movie is good too.

In our house we talk about how to make things easier. It is an easier concept than efficiency for younger kids. We try things in different orders and in different ways to see what works better. I let the kids come up with most of the ideas and try to just make suggestions and allow mistakes. For instance, when I taught each of my kids to follow a cake recipe, I first let them do it how ever they wanted. Gradually and with lots of cakes, they have learned to get out all of the supplies and sort them in the order they will be used. Little things like that help kids to figure out that most things can be made easier if they are planned better.

I'm not sure how to teach it either, and I'm not even sure it can be taught. This is a question of developing practical intelligence, AKA common sense, which is obviously very important but not well understood. (My own observations suggest that some people seem to have plenty of it from childhood, and others don't -- and that the latter don't seem inclined to pick it up from others' examples or reminders. :tongue_smilie: )

What we can do, I think, is to provide manageable tasks, and some ongoing external motivation (which could just be a calm reminder of natural consequences, e.g., "since it took so long to do this, you don't have enough time to play outside before dinner," or "since we got done early, we can [insert special activity]"). Then let them figure out how to get from point A to point B on their own.

Anyway, if you do a search on "practical intelligence," you might find some relevant information on the current educational and psychological understanding, such as it is.

I'm not sure how to teach efficiency, but I recommend Cheaper by the Dozen as a read aloud. It is a great way to introduce the concept of efficiency. The old movie is good too.

In our house we talk about how to make things easier. It is an easier concept than efficiency for younger kids. We try things in different orders and in different ways to see what works better. I let the kids come up with most of the ideas and try to just make suggestions and allow mistakes. For instance, when I taught each of my kids to follow a cake recipe, I first let them do it how ever they wanted. Gradually and with lots of cakes, they have learned to get out all of the supplies and sort them in the order they will be used. Little things like that help kids to figure out that most things can be made easier if they are planned better.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to get the movie from Netflix. Are you thinking the remade one with Steve Martin or the one from 1950?

I'm not sure how to teach it either, and I'm not even sure it can be taught. This is a question of developing practical intelligence, AKA common sense, which is obviously very important but not well understood. (My own observations suggest that some people seem to have plenty of it from childhood, and others don't -- and that the latter don't seem inclined to pick it up from others' examples or reminders. :tongue_smilie: )

What we can do, I think, is to provide manageable tasks, and some ongoing external motivation (which could just be a calm reminder of natural consequences, e.g., "since it took so long to do this, you don't have enough time to play outside before dinner," or "since we got done early, we can [insert special activity]"). Then let them figure out how to get from point A to point B on their own.

Anyway, if you do a search on "practical intelligence," you might find some relevant information on the current educational and psychological understanding, such as it is.

I fear you may be right on it not being a teachable skill. You would think after many of days of sitting at the table instead of getting a chance to play would eventually be a motivator, but the boy just isn't wired that way. Now I am fearing a Visual Processing Disorder may be part of that cause. He is my perfectionist child and I think the clinical psychologist wants me to work on getting him to do things quickly, even if they aren't 100% perfect. For example, he loves Legos so I thought for a quick activity I would have him build me the tallest thing he could in 3 minutes. I explained to him that it didn't have to be pretty and it didn't even need to stand up on its own. 3 minutes later and he was crushed, it was only 2 inches tall. He had perfectly constructed a 2 inch tall wall that was 9 inches long. Then asked him to take it apart and show me how he could have made it taller, but not as strong and he slowly figured it out. I set the timer again and now the item was only 8 inches tall because his little brain couldn't just grab a random piece out of the huge bin and put it on. He looked for finding the similar pieces. I think this will be a good challenge to see how high he can get it in a race against himself. I think I will try using Legos a few other ways as well. On his IQ test he tested "well above normal" on what I call the "Lego building challenge," so maybe that is the key to get him to thinking and working quickly even at home.

I tend to use a lot of routines to "make things easier" (more efficient). So when I noticed we were wasting a lot of time locating pencils/markers/scissors, I put that all in her pencil box and we worked on the habit of always getting that box out when we start schoolwork. Same with her planner: if it's right there, I can say "just write that down for an assignment to do tomorrow" (like reviewing words or something). If it's not there, it's disruptive to do that.

What about directions or a carpool or something? Could your son help figure out the most efficient way to do errands or something? Most efficient way to go through the grocery store? How about doing chores? We dust before we vacuum so the dust doesn't fall on the freshly vacuumed floor. How about efficiency doing laundry? Is it easier to do a big pile one day a week, or to do a load a day (many factors go into that, in the end it really depends on the family, but can he untangle those elements?). Or energy efficiency, such as heating/cooling the house; why is it more efficient to leave it set to 74 all day, rather than turning it on and off when you leave/come? (again, that depends on how long you're home and not!). Oh or buying things in bulk vs. smaller servings. How about buying curriculum, is it more efficient to buy all books for the entire year and pay one shipping fee, or to buy books as needed?

There are so many practical ways that we can be more efficient in our lives. While I think I definitely have a personality where I'm always looking for that, I do think it's something that can be taught as a skill. It might not become automatic, but I think people can at least see why it might be helpful to think about.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to get the movie from Netflix. Are you thinking the remade one with Steve Martin or the one from 1950?

Not the poster you are asking, but my two cents is to go with the older one (1950).

We've seen it and liked it, and we second the recommendation.

There were lots of large families in my neighborhood, and Sister Mary Roselani read it every summer to whomever came to listen. She was a storytime leader before libraries made it the norm :) or made it to my neck of the woods, anyhow LOL.

Jenn, if he is profoundly gifted, he may actually have a different developmental curve for his EF (executive function). The Eides have detailed some studies on this on their blog. As far as the perfectionism and anxiety, you might come over to the LC/SN board and post. I haven't dealt with that, honestly (or thankfully?), but I'm pretty sure someone will be able to toss you out some books with approaches to try. Or do a board search over there and see what pops up.

They renamed that section Learning Challenges specifically because they wanted to broaden it up and try to make it more inclusive for these situations where you've got kids not yet diagnosed, kids with high IQs with some quirks, etc. So it's definitely the right place to go post. You won't be the only one there with a high IQ kid. :)