Menu

Memorizing Presidents

charlotteb

I'm teaching a presidents and elections study for our co-op this fall. This will be for middle school students. I would like to have them memorize the presidents in order as well. Can anyone recommend a good resource for this? Maybe a poem, song, book, etc? I borrowed "You Milliard Filmore" from a friend, but I don't think it would work. So what else can I use? Thanks!

I'm teaching a presidents and elections study for our co-op this fall. This will be for middle school students. I would like to have them memorize the presidents in order as well. Can anyone recommend a good resource for this? Maybe a poem, song, book, etc? I borrowed "You Milliard Filmore" from a friend, but I don't think it would work. So what else can I use? Thanks!

Yo Millard Filmore is pretty amazing at how well it works. I bet if you went through a few pages each week, they would do well with it. My favorite presidents song is on the Broadway Kids sing America CD. It is a catchy tune with some clever words. It has few key dates in it as anchors, but not too many. It does say the word "butt" in it it. (as in kicks his butt). The rest of the CD is great, too! I have the words typed up if you need them. It is kind of fast and it really helps to have the words.

Thanks Mindy! I'll give Yo Millard Filmore another try... it just looks very complex to me!

I think I know which song you are talking about. I've seen a video on YouTube of the Animaniacs doing a song. I think its to the tune of "William Tell's Overature". Is that the same one? It is cute!

My favorite has been the really super simple song on the Classical Conversations CD (I have it on Cycle 1 -- not sure if it's on the others as well or not). It lists *only* the presidents' last names, and nothing more, so it's important to do other study that helps the kids remember info about each president. But it's easy and quick and has worked well for all of us. (Would you believe, I never memorized the presidents either till this year!) I know I keep reading great reviews of Yo Millard Filmore, but I just couldn't make myself find it appealing...

The CDs from years 5 (and I think 4 as well) sing all the Presidents. "#1 George Washington, #2 John Adams, 3 was Thomas Jefferson, and #4 James Madison. 5 another James, Monroe, 6 John Quincy Adams, 7 Andrew Jack-Jackson and 8 Martin van Buren." See how well it works? ;) I really like that it includes the number in front of the name.