Menu

Easy introduction to Foreign Languages for older kids?

fourcatmom

We tried Latin for Children in 5th grade and Elementary Greek in 6th grade for my 12 yo. Neither worked really well and she quickly lost enthusiasm and motivation very quickly in each program. It really just became a battle to get her to do it so eventually we stopped LFC and continued very slowly with EG. I really liked EG but even at the end of the year she was still working through the flashcards. She LOVED the Alphabet Code Cracker that she worked on before even starting EG.

I want to continue with something. I am not sure she is really interested in pursuing EG any longer but she has mentioned interest in word roots as it pertains to her writing and knowledge of language. The other issue is that it really needs to be somewhat independent as I just can't help her much with this. For it to be independent, she needs to like it. I have considered just starting with Word Roots and see if she can build her interest from there but not really sure if it's worth the time or energy to do that.

For my 11yo, she worked through a French workbook this year and LOVED it! Who knew? She said she wanted to learn French but I just wasn't sure how it was going to go so I bought a very simple story book where she was able to learn words in French. By the end of the year she had memorized about 50+ words (on her own) but did not know the correct pronunciations to the words. I am looking for a beginning French program that might have some of the basic words she learned this last year that she might enjoy but be simple enough to stay interested. Most of the programs out there seem overwhelming to me, so I guess I can sympathize with them.

Recommendations on easy to learn and easy to implement beginning Foreign Language programs in French and something else? Not Spanish. For now, they both have zero interest in learning Spanish. I really want to find something that interests them so that they will hopefully continue on and learn to enjoy more languages!

Something like the style of Alphabet Code Cracker with more of a complete program?

Word Roots?

Thanks if you got this far!

Has anyone used or have any comments on Latin's Not So Tough, level 2 or 3. This looks like it could be a gentle introduction to Latin without being overwhelming to her.

Or, what about Minimus? If we did this, would you start in book 1 for an older child or book 2. The TE is so expensive in this! I am wondering if Minimus would be similar to the Alphabet Code Cracker, since it's story based and not just a dry language book. It might peak her interest with wanting to continue with Latin in another program. I had thought about Lively Latin but I am just not sure I am ready to spend a lot on another program without her working through something light first and being successful with it!

And, First Start French. Any opinions on either of these two programs.

Rosie...Love the ASL idea. My kids know some but it would great to study it more deeply.

For French or Spanish, look at Breaking the Barrier. Whether you go with the traditional book and audio CD or the ipad app, it comes with textbook, answers, and native-speaker audio. The book approach also has the option for a test bank.

The program starts out with "the first ten steps" before the beginning chapters. The first ten steps consist of some basic conversational questions and answers (my name is, where are you from, etc) along with pronunciation guides and other basic information to get you started; AFTER the first steps, then the regular study chapters begin. I find it interesting that by the time you reach chapter one, you already know a little bit about answering questions in the first, second, and third person and have acquired some vocabulary and understand how to handle the vowels and consonants. The Spanish book explains the differences in pronunciation between Spain, Mexico, and Brazil among other variations, something that I think is not always pointed out.

I'll write more after we have had more chance to use it; I am getting started early before my boys start in the fall (one will use the text, the other will probably use primarily the ipad app, as he has dysgraphia and typing on the ipad actually helps him more than handwriting does. In his case, the audio is embedded in the text).