Menu

Finding other homeschoolers and planning meetups?

I am thinking of planning some meetups to socialize with other homeschoolers who are a similar age and have similar interests to my kids (probably starting in the fall). Some ideas I've had are a meetup to do arts and crafts, or just a fun meetup for tweens and young teens (such as bowling, mini golf, etc.) I am thinking of like once a month, suggesting a date and location to meet. I belong to a couple homeschooling mailing lists, where I could post invites to such activities.

I've never planned or hosted any events like this before. I could just toss out an invite and see what happens. But do any of you have suggestions or recommendations for things to do or not to do? Issues I should think about or anticipate?

Thanks for any advice!

meetup.com! For $6 a month, you can invite people to join and then post events. The reason to pay the fee is the RSVP feature. Everyone cancels last minute, you aren't sitting by yourself waiting for people to show up. They also have a calendar that allows others to post events as well. I started a meetup group 4 years ago and it's still going strong!

I encourage you to go for it. Just be friendly and make sure everyone knows they are invited and welcome them to share it with other homeschoolers too. Often other people are waiting for someone else to organize and will appreciate that you did. My one bit of advice is especially initially don't look at activities that require a minimum number of participants or a financial commitment because you will always have people who will say they will show up but won't. Don't let that discourage you because you can have fun even if you have a small turn out to start.

If you are inviting people you don't know, I'd start with park meetups. No financial obligations, some families may not want to spend the money for bowling, etc at the beginning. A park meetup is very low-key. Just a way to get to know other homeschoolers. Be prepared that no one may show up, or that you may completely clash with someone who does. Once you've met some families that you'd like to get together with more often you can arrange other activities. Also, you might consider meeting more often, say fortnightly, to establish relationships.