Menu

Funny book suggetions for a 7 year old struggling reader

My daughter is 7 and a half. She has a processing disorder of some type that we are still trying to get diagnosed. I am currently having a hard time finding books she can read independently AND hold her interest. She really loves the Mo Willems Piggie and Elephant series as it is right at her independent reading level in difficulty and length, but funny enough that she likes reading them. Are there any other books or series like that? Any other independent reading suggestions? She reads Dr. Seuss beginning books, but sometimes the length of them tires her out. The Piggie and Elephant books are the first books that she WANTS to read all of and really ENJOYS reading them (such a change from me always pushing her). Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

My daughter really likes the Elephant and Piggy books as well : )

Have looked up other titles by Mo Willems? He has the Pigeon books and the Knuffle Bunny books, plus others.

My daughter likes those as well since they are fun and silly.

My daughter really likes the Elephant and Piggy books as well : )

Have looked up other titles by Mo Willems? He has the Pigeon books and the Knuffle Bunny books, plus others.

My daughter likes those as well since they are fun and silly.

Our family loves Mo Willems, but unfortunately the others are above her independent reading level, she could probably handle the pigeon books if I was there to help her and reminder of phonics rules, but knuffle bunny will be read a aloud for a while longer.

I loved the Frog and Toad books at that age. Amelia Bedelia is a good suggestion as well.

She does books like those when she reads to me, but they are just a bit too difficult and too long for her to tackle on her own. We are working very hard on extending the length of what she reads while retaining comprehension. Right now, if she has to read more than a sentence or two per page, especially if she struggles with a word or two, she loses the meaning. When I am with her and see that she is losing the meaning, I can read the page back to her after she reads it so she can understand the story, but she won't do that when she is reading independently so it is important that each page have few words and 90% of them decodable with basic phonics or looking at the picture. Thank you for the suggestions though.

My kids have been enjoying this:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-That-Goes-Kapow/dp/0312653018/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370582631&sr=8-1&keywords=the+cow+capow

I can't actually vouch for what is in it - I haven't sat down and actually read it yet. It has lots of pictures. A few more words than Elephant and Piggie, but not a ton. I understand this author has others like it as well.

My kids have been enjoying this:

http://www.amazon.co...s=the cow capow

I can't actually vouch for what is in it - I haven't sat down and actually read it yet. It has lots of pictures. A few more words than Elephant and Piggie, but not a ton. I understand this author has others like it as well.

He also wrote another book. I forget the name.

Quick read. Lots of phonic based rhymes. We liked them.

My son LOVES Mo Willems' books. Off the top of my head, some other humorous books he's enjoyed:

Anything by Jan Thomas, especially "Can You Make a Scary Face?"

"Interrupting Chicken" by David Ezra Stein

Eric Litwin's "Pete the Cat" books

Amelia Bedelia and Morris and Boris are favorites too, but those are a bit higher reading level.

Have you seen the Apple Tree Farm books? There's a short sentence for the child to read at the top, and then a longer passage at the bottom for the parent. The shared reading really helped my ds when he was a beginning reader. Eventually he could read all of it. They're the only readers that my kids treasure. Other readers were forgettable. And then for the I Can Read books (Little Bear, Frog and Toad etc) I read them as read alouds. They're wonderful stories. Eventually maybe your child can read one chapter and you can read the rest. Or you can ask her her favorite chapter in them and ask her to just read that much. No need to read the whole book in one sitting. And you can do shared reading with them as well.

We also really like the Dragon books by Dav Pilkey.

Also joke and riddle books are sometimes great for struggling readers.

David Milgrim is good for funny books at this level, too. His may even be slightly simpler than Elephant and Piggy if I'm remembering correctly, but if you just want more confidence-building practice books they'd be worth putting in the library basket.