Menu

An Alternative to Horizons for 4th grade

Tanyali

My My dd 8 is currently more than halfway through Horizons 3. This is our second year with Horizons and was going to continue using it for 4th. (somebody gave me Horizons 4) But we our hitting a wall and dd is in tears half the time. Problem is I have always been super hands on in teaching dd math going over the concepts first then giving her the work sheets. Lately she has been trying to be more independent and has voiced she would like something with more examples. I have looked at TT and thats not going to work for us. I like how Horizons is spiral and was thinking about CLE sor potentially Singapore and supplementing with Horizons 4. Has anybody switched from Horizons 3 to something else? Any CLE users can let me know if it has examples for the student to look at? Also at this point any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Tanya

If you want to see CLE samples, check out this page & click "sample" by each light unit. I linked to the 300 level. I'd highly suggest the placement test & then looking at the scope/sequence to give you an idea where to start.

Do you know what is really causing the tears?

When my kids wanted to be more independent, I filled out more problems on the Horizons' pages as examples, showing how they were worked on paper. I did it ahead of time so they could look at them without me, but then ask me if they had questions.

Math-U-See has a video showing how to work problems, would she like that better? After we finished Horizons 6, we moved over to MUS, and it's been a good fit.

Merry :-)

My My dd 8 is currently more than halfway through Horizons 3. This is our second year with Horizons and was going to continue using it for 4th. (somebody gave me Horizons 4) But we our hitting a wall and dd is in tears half the time. Problem is I have always been super hands on in teaching dd math going over the concepts first then giving her the work sheets. Lately she has been trying to be more independent and has voiced she would like something with more examples. I have looked at TT and thats not going to work for us. I like how Horizons is spiral and was thinking about CLE sor potentially Singapore and supplementing with Horizons 4. Has anybody switched from Horizons 3 to something else? Any CLE users can let me know if it has examples for the student to look at? Also at this point any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Tanya

My younger son is currently doing Horizons 4, and it includes instruction directly to the student, unlike the earlier grades. Maybe you've already taken a look through it, but I'm just mentioning this in case you haven't.