Menu

When wild critters move in ????

KungFuPanda

About a month back I posted about hearing wild animal noises and decided in the end it was a raccoon. We have since spotted said raccoon attacking a squirrell's nest in our front tree. Whatever . . . what they do outside is their business.

HOWEVER

I've suspected for a few days that the raccoon has moved into my attic! ! !

If that's not bad enough . . . today I hear a weird pecking noise. At first I thought it was banging pipes, but now it seems a bird has fallen down the flue pipe and into the basement furnace/blower thingy. Are you kidding me?

Because of a fallen tree, our roof and attic are brand new. The old roof never let critters in. Not a single incident for 10 years. What's up with this one?????

Do I call the critter people? The furnace people? Who do I call to seal up access points????

I would call my roofer right away. There should be some sort of guarantee that the roof be secure, no access for the creatures. Of course some smaller species (think mice) are good at finding access, but something the size of a raccoon should be easier to keep out.

I'd be more concerned about bats having an access point.

If the roofers come and have a good look, they should be able to tell you if they've seen evidence of homemaking. They can perhaps recommend an exterminator. I think calling an exterminator before sealing up access would be like shoveling while it is still snowing.

Also, all those flues and vents going out of the house should have some sort of cover or screen over them. A while back we heard some strange flapping sounds and discovered a bird in the dryer vent metal tubing. DH found that the vent cover had fallen off.

Oh, wow...your poor thing. I'm going to suggest calling them all. The roofers will need to plug the access point if it was their fault, but you'll need critter removal services before you proceed with sealing off anything. The furnace people may be necessary to simply service the unit once the bird is out. I'm not sure removal is part of their service, but it might be.

Oh, wow...your poor thing. I'm going to suggest calling them all. The roofers will need to plug the access point if it was their fault, but you'll need critter removal services before you proceed with sealing off anything. The furnace people may be necessary to simply service the unit once the bird is out. I'm not sure removal is part of their service, but it might be.

Of course Tammyla is right about the furnace pipe - poor bird - I was thinking mostly about the attic when I answered.

You call and exterminator that deals with critters. Depending on the critter, somtimes you have to get rid of the critter before sealing access points, otherwise they find another way in. Some exterminators are also contractors and can do the sealing up themselves, others will recommend someone to come do it. The exterminator can tell you if it seems to be the roofers fault, and if so then you can contact the roofers and try to get them to pay.