Menu

Math through high school

nwmama

Is there a benefit to choosing a math curriculum that goes from elementary through high school so that there is continuity for the students? I've been looking at some of the popular curriculums and Miquon, MM, and a couple others are only for elementary. Beast Academy and AoPS look interesting but they don't have all the grades yet and don't seem to have anything planned for K-2nd. TT doesn't start until grade 3.

Is there a benefit to choosing a math curriculum that goes from elementary through high school so that there is continuity for the students? I've been looking at some of the popular curriculums and Miquon, MM, and a couple others are only for elementary. Beast Academy and AoPS look interesting but they don't have all the grades yet and don't seem to have anything planned for K-2nd. TT doesn't start until grade 3.

JMO, but I think it is of more benefit to match the program that best fits the student's needs at each point along the way of the math journey. I also saw a big benefit to using more than one math program/resource (a spine and a supplement, for example), as it really helps students think "mathematically", make math connections, and allows you to bolster weak areas.

In addition, by using different programs at different points in your students' math journey, you can make use of the very best of the math resources out there at each point of the journey -- for example, ability to use Miquon in grades 1-3 to encourage early math discovery learning and making math connections. Or Beast Academy in grades 3-5 to foster problem-solving skills. Or Jacobs Geometry which delves more deeply than many high school programs into writing proofs. Or the ability to use a fabulous online teacher, or take a dual enrollment math class at the local community college or university during high school...

Yes, there is a benefit to using one publisher throughout (consistency, knowing what to expect, and not having transition time or "gaps" from switching programs). But so often, students' math needs change enough through the years, to the point that sticking with one program just for the ease of "the familiar" can end up causing you to miss out on bigger and better benefits by switching math programs.

Finally, I see from your signature that you have 4 children. The likelihood that all 4 children will "click" the best with the same few programs that go all the way from kinder thru grade 12 is slim; just me, but if I were just starting out, I'd take it one year at a time and start with trying out the programs that are highly touted for those early elementary years first. I also suggest trying to not switch math programs TOO frequently (for example, every 2-6 months) -- it's usually pretty clear if the student is totally lost, having math melt-downs, etc. -- and try including some supplements or a secondary very different math program as a supplement.

BEST of luck in your math choices, and in your homeschooling journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

And in case you really want to stick with the same publisher all the way through, here are the common homeschool publishers:

- Saxon = Kinder through Calculus

- Math-U-See = Kinder through Calculus

- Singapore = Kinder; gr. 1-6 ("Primary"); then, choice of 3 different programs for secondary math, up through Pre-Calculus (Discovering Mathematics; New Elementary Math; New Syllabus Math)

- Abeka = Pre-School through Pre-Calculus/Trig

- Bob Jones = Kinder through Pre-Calculus

I agree with everything Lori said. Once you get more familiar with the various "stages" - very early elementary, elementary, and secondary math - you'll feel more comfortable with finding the best fit for each stage. It seems to me that the biggest issue with gaps comes with switching programs in the middle of, say, elementary *without* going out of your way to identify and handle sequence differences; that's what I call looking at a math program as a "black box." The more familiar you are with the sequence of topics that you'd like to teach and the organization of the handful of programs that you may be interested in, and your student's understanding on a daily basis and individual need for review, the easier it is to be flexible and comfortable in grabbing instruction or practice for any topic from that handful of programs. Knowledge is power.

By the time you get to secondary math, instead of thinking of "sequence differences," you might think in terms of "prerequisites" to start the next text. While there may still be some differences in sequence at the high school level among homeschool programs, non-homeschool texts usually cover a relatively standard list of topics for each level (levels being algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, etc). There are still differences among the other aspects of the texts, such as organization of topics, depth of instruction, style of instruction, level of challenge, amount and organization of review, etc., but those don't typically impact the fact that the content is standardized.

If you are hoping to use a particular program and then switch to a different one at a particular point in time, there are plenty of posters who'd be more than happy to offer advice on managing such a switch successfully :)

I don't give this any thought. I moved all over the country during my k-12 education, and went from a montessori school to public school as well, and I don't think it hurt me. In fact, I dislike being wedded to a program. I always supplement so that we cover different material in different ways.

Once you get more familiar with the various "stages" - very early elementary, elementary, and secondary math - you'll feel more comfortable with finding the best fit for each stage. It seems to me that the biggest issue with gaps comes with switching programs in the middle of, say, elementary *without* going out of your way to identify and handle sequence differences; that's what I call looking at a math program as a "black box." The more familiar you are with the sequence of topics that you'd like to teach and the organization of the handful of programs that you may be interested in, and your student's understanding on a daily basis and individual need for review, the easier it is to be flexible and comfortable in grabbing instruction or practice for any topic from that handful of programs. Knowledge is power.

By the time you get to secondary math, instead of thinking of "sequence differences," you might think in terms of "prerequisites" to start the next text. While there may still be some differences in sequence at the high school level among homeschool programs, non-homeschool texts usually cover a relatively standard list of topics for each level (levels being algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, etc). There are still differences among the other aspects of the texts, such as organization of topics, depth of instruction, style of instruction, level of challenge, amount and organization of review, etc., but those don't typically impact the fact that the content is standardized.

If you are hoping to use a particular program and then switch to a different one at a particular point in time, there are plenty of posters who'd be more than happy to offer advice on managing such a switch successfully :)

I like Wapiti's description of sequences and prerequisites. The "typical course of study" lists from the World Book Encyclopedia might be helpful to give you a guide of the types of math topics covered each year. However, because math programs vary so widely in scope and sequence I would tend to look at not just what grade your student is currently in, but also at the 1-2 grades below and above, and then compare with the table of contents for several grade levels of the math program.

So, for example, here's the World Book Encyclopedia list of math topics for grade 1; if your math program covers these topics over the course of Kinder, grade 1, and grade 2, then you're in the ball park. :)

* Counting and writing to 100

* Counting by 2's to 40

* Simple number patterns

* Beginning ordinal numbers

* Using 10 as a basic unit

* Simple properties of zero

* Simple properties of sets

* Beginning addition and subtraction facts

* Number-line use

* Place value and numeration

* Concepts of quantity and size

* Concepts of equality and inequality

* Concepts of ordinal and cardinal numbers

* Using 1/2 and 1/4 appropriately

* Estimation

* Geometric patterns and figures

* Basic customary and metric measurement

* Recognizing time: clock and calendar

* Value of penny, nickel, dime, quarter

* Solving simple word problems

* Basic probability and chance

* Basic chart and graph concepts

I try to use one main program for grades 1-6, though I did switch my oldest partway through 4th grade math because his needs changed. Once we get to prealgebra on up, I don't think you have to stick with one program unless the one you choose has a wildly different scope and sequence from traditional courses of that type.

I just see no reason that a child has to use the same curriculum for K and Calculus. Those are two very different children!