Menu

Suggestions for Spines for Astronomy and Earth Science, Grade 6

I use our Usborne in conjunction with our library.

Every week we do a two page spread, flesh it out with whatever we already have on the shelves plus what our library offers, and maybe a few Internet things. (I rarely look for these ahead of time. We grab the Usborne links, brain pop, and Punk googles the topic + kids + education and we see what happens.) I try to have a hands on activity every 4-6 weeks and, honestly, that is the only thing I ever prep in depth for Science. ( outside of the question of the week that I post to get the kids researching)

I use our Usborne in conjunction with our library.

Every week we do a two page spread, flesh it out with whatever we already have on the shelves plus what our library offers, and maybe a few Internet things. (I rarely look for these ahead of time. We grab the Usborne links, brain pop, and Punk googles the topic + kids + education and we see what happens.) I try to have a hands on activity every 4-6 weeks and, honestly, that is the only thing I ever prep in depth for Science. ( outside of the question of the week that I post to get the kids researching)

The Usborne Science Encylopedia? I have that!

The Usborne Science Encylopedia? I have that!

Yes, my kids have had as much fun, and retained as much or more, doing science this way as they did when I spent months creating custom curriculum for them or when I have paid ungodly amounts for curriculums we soon abandoned.

I bought the John Tiner book, Exploring Planet Earth and the MP Astronomy guide. I bought a telescope for us to play around with too. We will use our Usborne Science Encyclopedia and the Arty Facts Space Science and Art projects book too. I think we will start w/the Astronomy and space for the first half of the year. The Tiner book will be good for just reading on her part which will be better for the 2nd semester once school has gotten a good rhythm. My 4th grader will be doing all of this with us, and I don't think I will have her read the Tiner book much. I plan on using the Usborne more as her guide for Earth science and we will do any projects from it together (maybe, there may be enough at co-op for us on the Earth science..) plus the online stuff together.

Oh, and did I mention that there is a 4th to 6th grade class at co-op featuring Earth Science next year? So between that and what I have on shelf I think we will do OK.

The Tiner book will be good for just reading on her part which will be better for the 2nd semester once school has gotten a good rhythm. 5h1.jpg

Have you reviewed the Tiner book? I have it in my Amazon basket but am wondering how Biblical it gets based on review there.

I bought it and am fine with it. We don't do young Earth, and I don't see any of that in it. I haven't finished reading the whole thing yet. The main thing these books seem to do is mention the faith and proof of people's beliefs. They will mention letters they wrote and how they believe in a Creator.

That is what I found in the History of Medicine and the Biology book. Even in the biology, I had no problems. It is mostly just science, but allowing for Christianity to be mentioned, yet not the focus. But again, I haven't finished reading the whole thing. I don't know what it says about Christopher Coiumbus for example yet. I am now interested. I think I will get it back out. But because I used the other 2 last year, I went ahead and purchased these.

I almost feel compelled to do Astronomy over the summer since it's the only time of year that you can actually see the night sky here.

We have always done astronomy when we can see Orion and Big Dipper easily in our area.

We use constellation charts and my older has a few astronomy books as thats his interest.

http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/pass/passv05/maps/CT60degnorth.pdf

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/guides/bbc_stargazing_live_star_guide.pdf