Menu

IEW and WWS concurrently

Has anyone done both of these together? Overkill? Too much writing? Confusing?

We are using WWS but it is slow slow going. My ds is dyslexic and really struggles with writing. He is coming along with WWS but at a tortoise pace.

Also, I keep hearing the IEW is suggested for dyslexics. I'm just not sure I want to stop WWS because I know it's a good writing program.

I guess I just wonder if IEW benefit him.

I am tentatively planning to combine IEW SICC-B and WWS for my 5th grader. I haven't started it yet, so I don't know if it will work well. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has done this. I plan to do half of each of them over next year, so they will stretch out over two years. In the past I have done a similar thing with IEW SWI-A, WWE, and WWW. I did the IEW program over two years while adding in writing assignments from the other two programs. I think using one program every day, week after week, would get awfully dull and repetitive. The variety is helpful IMO. Another thing I do is add three research reports per year, in which my kids must apply the skills they have been learning. This adds variety, too.

IEW is excellent for teaching stylistic techniques. I also like IEW's DVD lessons because Andrew Pudewa appeals to my kids. My kids started enjoying writing after Mr. Pudewa (rather than I) gave them the assignments.

I don't know anything regarding teaching writing to a child with dyslexia.

If he's dyslexic, teach him to 10 finger touch type. I taught my ds when he was 8; it was a struggle at first, and I had to stand over him for about a year making sure he did not revert to 2 finger visual typing, but it was sooooo paid off! A few years later and he is writing stories literally with 1000s of words.

<p> We did WWS when he was in 6th, and it was a headache for both of us. We got through 3/4 of the book, then swapped to IEWB. It was so much easier! But that doesn't mean it will be a headache for you, and using both might be a good idea. One poster here Llewema says that WWS is parts to whole, whereas LToW and IEW are whole to parts. This second style suits my ds much better.

He does type his assignments. It's the getting thoughts onto paper that is troublesome. He has a jumble of thoughts stuck in his head and it's a struggle to straighten them out, find the right vocabulary that's "stuck on the tip of my tongue mom", and writing coherent sentences.

As for writing stories......not my kid. He has zero desire to do anything creative. Ever.

He does type his assignments. It's the getting thoughts onto paper that is troublesome. He has a jumble of thoughts stuck in his head and it's a struggle to straighten them out, find the right vocabulary that's "stuck on the tip of my tongue mom", and writing coherent sentences.

As for writing stories......not my kid. He has zero desire to do anything creative. Ever.

I totally agree with the PP - give IEW a shot. IEW will give him clear, incremental steps to follow and that will likely build his confidence, and you can always return to WWS later. (IEW worked really, really well for my writing-phobic DS in a huge way. Now I believe he can tackle WWS; before IEW, he definitely would have struggled.) In IEW the student begins by creating a keyword outline to summarize a given piece of writing, then uses the keyword outline combined with given stylistic techniques and "dress-ups" to re-tell the story. It also offers lists of strong verbs, quality adjectives, etc., and teaches a few words of vocabulary at a time relevant to each writing selection. So the student doesn't have to struggle to find the "right word". (After a while, the dependence on these various word lists fades away, BTW.) About the only thing from your quote above that IEW doesn't explicitly give hand-holding on is writing coherent sentences, but I think that will come via the keyword outline and stylistic techniques anyway. Plus if he's been working through WWS1 he clearly has the ability, and probably just needs a shot of confidence from something he can feel successful with more quickly. Also, FWIW, there's not much (hardly any that I recall right now) creative writing in IEW at the beginning levels.

So what would I buy for IEW? Budget matters. However, I have never used it and don't know anything about it except from what I've read here.

I'd recommend either #1 - Teaching Writing: Structure & Style, OR #2 - a Student Writing Intensive. You do not need both.

#1 TWSS - teaches *you* how to teach using IEW methods. You'll then either have to come up with your own sources for assignments, or use one of the theme packs like Ancient history-based writing, etc. TWSS was the original product. In response to customer demand for more hand-holding/open-and-go, they came out with the SWIs (and the follow-up SICCs, which are just continuation courses).

#2 SWI - gives video instruction to the student (the instructor, Mr. Andrew Pudewa, has videos on YouTube if you'd like to sample them to see if you/your son like his style - my DS likes his sometimes quirky humor but maybe some people wouldn't). Assignments are laid out and scheduled, along with sources, and grading rubrics for each assignment. IF you watch the SWI videos with your student, you'll be able to support and guide him as needed. If you go with SWI, I'd suggest level B, based on how you've described your DS, and the fact that he's been working, albeit slowly, through WWS1. My DS did SWI-B as a just-turned 10-years-old 5th grader. I watched and learned it along with him. The reading levels/quantities were not an issue and the output required is easy to adjust down if it seems overwhelming. (Its easier to reduce workload for level B than add to it for level A, IMO. More than simply adjusting length of the final product, it is more about steps or techniques.)

I resisted IEW for a long time, partly due to price, and partly due to the formulaic nature of it. I regret that I resisted for so long. Also, the return policy is amazing & resale value on the used market is very good, FWIW.

DS used IEW with an O-G tutor last year. He sat in a class with three other boys. One mother withdrew her student....The program took about five months before I saw any clear benefit. The tutor suggested the boys start with level A, so that is what happened. We start a thematic level B booklet in the fall. I was advised that solid writing can take a good two years.

You can still apply skills learned in WWS. DS summarizes and outlines in history and science. DS also uses Inspiration mapping software. Good luck!

Eta: IEW has an excellent return policy...