Menu

couple behavior in front of kids

clarkacademy

We don't take baths together because, well, we wouldn't fit. We do shower together and if we don't shower together we'll both be in the bathroom while one is showering. It's a great time to talk! Our kids know we're in there together. They've never commented. The older two know we have sex. Our 13 year old likes to tease us about it sometimes because it makes me blush and she thinks that is hilarious. It's what married couples do. It's healthy. It's not a big deal to my kids (nor was it a big deal to me as a kid).

I agree that this is totally normal and fine. I was a tiny bit weirded out, though, when my mother very non chalantly suggested to DH and I that we should shower together to stretch the hot water when we were staying there once. Very practical, and we did, but for some reason it felt awkward to talk about with my mother.

Dh and I once fell asleep in the bathtub together. Dd age 3 came in and saw us there because she woke up to potty. We didn't know it until she asked about it the next day!

But she's 18 now and doesn't seem to have been traumatized by the event.