Menu

if you use ETC for phonics / reading what spelling?

I have not started spelling with my "finishing up first grader" and feel like i would like to start it in the fall (2nd grade).

I am thinking for the summer of creating my own list with words from his ETC workbooks.

I am wondering what spelling other people have used with ETC or if i even need spelling -- i can continue pulling lists from ETC I guess? I know http://www.spellingcity.com/ will let you make up spelling worksheets and so on --

thoughts? direction?

I was in the same boat at the end of first grade. And I also felt like it was "time" for a spelling program. And we tried a couple. And I tried turning the ETC lists into spelling lists and using Spelling City. And it was all a complete waste of time for us. ETC was useful for learning to read. It was especially good for one of my ds. It helped him develop his spelling a little. But it didn't parlay into a spelling program for us. And in the end, I had to give it up. It wasn't until this year, in third grade, that we really did spelling and now I feel like it's worth our time.

So while kids do vary and it may be different for you, what I learned is that it's best to wait until you're out of the phonics stage and start over with spelling anew.

Mt DD is in 1st. She is using ETC for phonics. For reading we are using OPGRT and for spelling AAS. I have found ETC is great for her reading but not so much for spelling, AAS has really helped there and she is doing great with it.

We used ETC for Prep/Gr1 & are continuing to work through the books. I have just intro'd AAS 1 (my son is Gr1 in Australia so he is 6yo) & he is flying through the program. He loves spelling - if it is on the list he wants to do it first & usually after we finish for the day he will ask can he "play" with the spelling stuff & he teaches the toys spelling & even ropes me in to "teach" me spelling - lol. So that is a bit of a hit here :001_smile:

what do you like about R & S spelling?

It is very independent.

It covers phonics, syllables, prefixes, suffixes, word roots, root words, alphabetizing, etc.

It is inexpensive.

It is not time consuming and it gets done.

I like the workbooks and the kids do not complain.

:)