Menu

if you use Magic Jack or Straight Talk from home....opinions please

ProudGrandma

We use magic jack and have had no problems. The connection is generally very good quality. The only problems we have had are in hotel rooms with poor quality wifi. Yes we take it with us. :lol:

We use magic jack. No issues. Occasional weird echo but nothing earth shattering. We use our cells for everything and keep the magic jack for the land line. That number is given out when we need to give a phone number for something.

DH was unhappy with the quality particularly cell phone (his) to Magic Jack (home). He wanted to cancel, but I am making him keep the line since I already told everyone that "new" number and don't feel like giving them yet another. :) So now we have land, cell and MJ. And everyone is mostly happy.

If you get it, maybe keep your land line for a few months until you are sure you really like the Magic Jack.

We have both. Magic jack is great, and we have never had dropped calls. Sometimes it cuts in and out if I use the app for it on my iPad, but the iPad was never meant to be a phone lol.

We have Straight Talk for our cell phones, and we bought some cheap, older iPhones to use with tis service. It is $50 including taxes for unlimited talk, text, and internet. We have had it for 6 months, and so far so good. I have issues with texting, but it seems to be my phone, because dh's phone texts just fine. I have no idea if I just said that right lol. Is texts used as a verb? We have only had a few problems with connection, and that was way out away from our little town in the country.

I looked at magic jack, then went with google voice using an obihai unit. $80 for the unit and google voice is free till at least Jan 2014. Oh and I can put multiple numbers on one phone with different ringtones and I can forward calls to a cell. Plus with the obihai I can pick providers other than google if I want later.