Menu

Looking for High School History (non-textbook) w/quizzes and tests

The oldest child of a friend of mine will be in 9th grade next year. She's not the researching type and hasn't been able to find the 'type' of history program she's looking for yet. I offered to turn to the Hive.

Background: She's a former teacher, so she really feels the need for tests and quizzes. She's used Sonlight (two US history, two World History cores) for the past four years and loves the literature approach. She's written her own tests and quizzes to go along with Sonlight all four years. She doesn't want a traditional textbook because she thinks they are boring. (He is using Apologia's science texts with DVD lectures from Red Wagon tutorials.)

She plans on using IEW's Windows to the World next year for lit and she does her own bible, so she doesn't think Notgrass is what she's looking for. She's open to doing any "history" next year (US, World, etc.) and if she can't find anything with those, she'll do a year of geography.

She has younger kids that she needs to spend time on, so she isn't interested in trying to pull together her own quizzes/tests AGAIN this year, or she'd just do Sonlight's Core 100. She doesn't enjoy or have time for the planning involved with TOG. IMO, she's looking for something "like Sonlight" with tests. Is there some program out there that has a history spine, added 'interesting' books, but that also comes with tests? I don't know of anything, but I said I'd ask.

Thanks for your help!

Trisms - they even use IEW as their language arts curriculum.

It is completely pulled together, worksheets, quizzes, tests, maps, etc., with correlated art, music, scientific history, architecture, literature.

The curriculum is researched based, no spine required - although some people like to have one handy (or at least some good reference materials).

9th grade would be Discovery of the Ancient World as far as the order goes - but if the kid has already done a lot of ancients, they could easily move ahead a level.

I am not very familiar with Sonlight - but from what I've seen in others' posts - Trisms is very similar.

www.trisms.com

• 10 months later...

What about just getting tests to go with Core 100?

Hewitt has a syllabus and test packet designed for Jr High that goes with History of US.

Amazon sells a test series to go with History of US.

I'm pretty sure there is at least one more source out there. If they are still enjoying SL, she could do Core 100, but pick up pre-made tests.

What about just getting tests to go with Core 100?

Hewitt has a syllabus and test packet designed for Jr High that goes with History of US.

Amazon sells a test series to go with History of US.

I'm pretty sure there is at least one more source out there. If they are still enjoying SL, she could do Core 100, but pick up pre-made tests.

This is what I was going to say. I bought the test packet to go with Hakim's History of the US.  This would be an easy fix to her problem.  I've personally enjoyed the "no tests" aspect of SL history and lit, but I wanted to prepare my boys a bit for high school next year by introducing the tests.