Menu

Calling all IEW and WWS Users! What should I do with this child?

My ds 10 did SWI A this year. Ideally, I would like to eventually move him into WWS which his sister (7th grade) is using this year. He has done very well with SWI A, but I'm not certain he would really be ready for WWS next year. He will be a young 6th grader (fall birthday), but he isn't as strong in language arts as his sister. What would be the best thing to fill the gap between SWI A and WWS? SWI B? The continuation course of SWI A? Given how expensive the IEW videos are (especially the continuation course for A), I want to choose wisely.

Another option is just to have him keep practicing what he learned in SWI A in conjunction with his regular narrations in science and history. For this, I own IEW's Ancient History-Based Writing Lessons as well as Imitations in Writing (not an IEW product, but similar format).

I'm really not sure what direction to take. I want him well prepared for WWS, but I'm not familiar enough with the materials that typically come after SWI A to know whether I should tackle a new level or just let him practice what he has learned so far. All thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Another option is just to have him keep practicing what he learned in SWI A in conjunction with his regular narrations in science and history. For this, I own IEW's Ancient History-Based Writing Lessons as well as Imitations in Writing (not an IEW product, but similar format).

I'm really not sure what direction to take. I want him well prepared for WWS, but I'm not familiar enough with the materials that typically come after SWI A to know whether I should tackle a new level or just let him practice what he has learned so far. All thoughts and opinions are welcome!

I would absolutely use the Ancient History-Based Lessons next. It will expand on what you did in SWI-A. There is no need to get the CC as the history based lessons will do the same thing.

Thank you!!!! All of your responses helped so much. If A and B are that similar and the theme writing accomplishes the same goals as the continuation class, it seems to make sense to just use the IEW Ancients book I already own (I could then always attempt WWS with him at the end of 6th grade if he seems ready). Do I need the teacher's notes for the themed history books?