Menu

writing tales for 4th grade?

I can't offer much from experience, but we are planning to use Writing Tales 1 for 4th and will move into Level 2 if possible. I do plan to add spelling & grammar because, from what I see in the TG, the grammar is a bit light for 4th. It would be almost all review for us in Level 1. I will say, I am super-excited about this program!

I'm using level 2 with my 4th grader. We didn't use level 1 with him. He's a reluctant writer, and I don't think level 2 has been too much. I add spelling and grammar. Grammar is probably an optional add on. It lightly covers grammar and depending on your philosophy, that might be enough for you. Spelling IMO is a skill that needs more focus than what WT does.

This is my second time using WT2 and I have been very happy with it.

My 10yo 4th grader is able to do WT2 mostly independently. He has learned to type, and that's a big help in completing the draft assignments (but they can be handwritten or partially dictated, of course!) I added a spelling program (Spelling Wisdom). I don't add grammar. For us, it's plenty for 4th and then we hit grammar hard in 6th-8th w/Analytical Grammar. We love Writing Tales, wish there were more volumes:) Gina

I used WT for my ds and dd. We used level 1. It's light on grammar so it's just a writing program. My son was reluctant and did well in this program. However, some of the stories to rewrite were very long. There were a few times I typed the final copy or took his dictation the first time through. My dd had no issues with any of it, but she loves to write all the time.

So yes, it's fine for 4th grade boy who doesn't like to write. Just be willing on those longer stories to help. My ds wrote amazing stuff but often the length of a story discouraged him. I did what I needed to keep him focused on the process and not get bogged down in the length.

My kids both loved the games and played it long past the time we used the program. So don't skip them :-)

I liked Level 1 better than Level 2, although I recommend BOTH levels. I thought the grammar in Level 1 was enough (for fourth grade) that I didn't add in any extra. I did add in extra grammar for Level 2 because I felt like my 5th grader needed more grammar than what WT2 provided. You do need to add spelling.

The games were the best part, especially in Level 1. DD#2 will be doing WT1 in the fall. She'll be on the older end of the spectrum and is a 'natural' writer, but I haven't been able to get to WT with her because she needed so much work learning to read & then working on spelling fundamentals. I just didn't have time for it yet.