Menu

Anyone have resources for safe whittling/woodcarving for young boys?

You could start with soap carving... Bars of ivory. I will tell you that in talking to real woodcarvers, that the sets of tools you get at Michael's and such aren't very good, and that you can spend a lot of money on good tools. And check online, there might be directions for making wooden tools to use with the soap carving. Tried to get my oldest into woodcarving at about that age, but it never took. :(

And make sure his knife is sharp--dull ones are the ones they get hurt with, and carve away from your body. One of the first things the Cub Scouts teach is knife safety.

After soap carving (or if your dc feels like that isn't "real" carving because it's not wood) you could move to Balsa wood :) it's really easy to carve it with dull instruments.Just don't get the super thin pieces because they have a tendency to fragment esp your child presses too hard.

books and videos are great, but if he's a hand's on type of learner, you'll probably want to find a person to teach him. I know the Boy Scounts used to have a merit badge on wood carving so there may be some resources out there from that organization.

JMCremps is where we got my son's whittling tools and books. He got them for his 8th birthday. After about a year of close supervision and learning to use the tools properly and safely, he's now free to use them on his own. He is only allowed to use them in our backyard and he needs to let us know when he is using them. Also, he isn't allowed to have his little sister or friends around when using them. He's made some really cool things and seems to have a knack for making 3D figures out of all kinds of things (wood, clay, paper, Lego's, Keva blocks, etc.)

In cub scouts, they start with soap. (Bear scouts can first earn the whittlin' chip badge...3rd grade/9 year olds usually).

You could get one of those mesh gloves for him to wear as well, if you're really concerned, but honestly I've been impressed with how careful my son is. I think most boys "get" that knives can harm them.