Menu

s/o bizarre SL: Favorite inaccurate historical fiction

I love alternate history, too! Now I need to check out all of these books I've never read. My favorite of the alternate history series' I've read is the Insh'Allah series by Steven Barnes. It posits a world in which Carthage destroys Rome, Europe remains tribal, and an Islamic dominated Africa colonizes the New World, bringing European slaves in tow. The first book in the series is called Lion's Blood. Not only are the books well written, but they really make you think.

I once wrote an alternate history short story in which Europe was discovered and colonized by Native Americans (who, of course, were not called Americans :)). This was accomplished by the Aztecs and Incas encountering each other and forming a massive empire that eventually had the capability of sailing across the Atlantic while, meanwhile, in Europe the Moors conquered France but were headed off in Germany. The Europeans were so busy trying to keep the Moors out of their borders they didn't have time for things like the Renaissance :). I never found a publisher for the story, but the ideas were intriguing to play with. I wrote it shortly after reading Phillip Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel, in which he tries to explain in sociological terms why some areas of the world have come out on top historically. It's fun to think about what might have happened if some of the variables were changed.

I guess this is not the place to admit how much I've been enjoying Phillippa Gregory's latest books that are set pre-Henry VIII. If someone can point me to some better writings that cover Jacquetta and Elizabeth Wodeville, please do.

I know they are inaccurate...I love them anyway! Lol! I would love some accurate info on Elizabeth Wodeville...and Jaquetta....

And Anya Seton is probabnbly my favorite historical fiction/ whoa, that is inaccurate, but I sure love it anyway...author.

And in the way of alternate history...for me, Orson Scott Card wins hands down!