Menu

Amazing AP Biology Day!

This past year I've taught a biology course to 4 boys, including my oldest son. We're prepping for the AP exam, but I didn't get a syllabus approved or anything because last summer I was expecting my 9th baby, and I just couldn't do it.

This year the AP bio exam has been redesigned, and so it's been hard to prep for. I happened to check on the AP bio thread over on collegeconfidential a few days, and I was so excited that someone posted a link to a practice exam that the College Board had released only to AP teachers! But it was very late at night, and I just bookmarked the site, instead of trying to save it or print it or anything (because it was 132 pages long, LOL). Of course the next morning, it was taken down. I was so disappointed!!

So at 3:00 this morning, as I was nursing my baby (who has picked these past few days to go on a growth spurt or something and is no longer sleeping through the night), it dawned on me that the way for me to get access was to try to get approved as an AP teacher. It wouldn't be for this year, but I have 8 other kids, so I'm planning on teaching this a few more times! So at 6:00, after yet another nursing sessions, I started on my syllabus. It took me over 5 hours, but I finally was able to send it in at 11:45. I am so glad I didn't even attempt to get approved this past summer. I think it took me a year of teaching the course to even figure out exactly what the College Board wanted in the syllabus, and I'm sure it would have been a total exercise in frustration last summer!

Anyhow, I then talked to my good friend, who got her econ course approved for next year back in March. She said it took 2 weeks to hear back from College Board, and well, the AP test is Monday, so that would be a little late for the practice test, LOL. But absolutely amazingly, I got an approval email back at 1:00!! And now I have access to secure documents, so my boys can take the practice test!! I'm still floating on air!! : )

Thanks! And I wanted to point out to others like myself who were stumped when they were prompted for a CEEB code, I finally got around to calling their toll-free help line (877-274-3570) and they will provide you with a CEEB code for homeschoolers for your particular state. For California homeschoolers your CEEB code is 990598.

Thanks! And I wanted to point out to others like myself who were stumped when they were prompted for a CEEB code, I finally got around to calling their toll-free help line (877-274-3570) and they will provide you with a CEEB code for homeschoolers for your particular state. For California homeschoolers your CEEB code is 990598.

Ha! I had to do this too! The code for VA is 994-799, the same one the kids use for their AP tests as well as the PSAT.

While you do have to renew each year, you don't have to resubmit a syllabus or anything each year, so I think I'm good to go for awhile!