Menu

Sonlight Core 100 for 7th?

faiths13

I am thinking of trying Sonlight next year and would like to do American History or early American history. I dont really want to use Story of the World though, because we started on Vol 3 at the beginning of this year and I didnt really like it. So Core 100 looks like it meets most of those needs. I am not sure if it will be too hard for my ds though. He is 12 and will be in 7th this fall. I was thinking I could spread it out over the next two years so he would do Core 100 for 7th and 8th, then do Core 200 for 9th. I would love some advice! Thanks!

I think if you took it slow and spread it over two years with some extras added, you will be fine.

My largest concern would be his reading level. Double check that he is a mature enough reader for the subject matter and reading level and all should be good.

I will be doing core 100 in two years with my 9th grader and 7th grader and I will do it over 12 months (instead of 9) and have the creek edge press task cards as an "extra".

We did it, BUT my son was a voracious reader and history buff! Since there were many important topics, his dad often read some with him so they could discuss. It was way too much reading for my dd so we did it in 9th grade.

I think doing it over 2 years and adding some activities would work well.

Good luck

ReneeR

I think it sounds like a good plan. Many people seem to feel that core is geared more for middle school than high school, so it may be a perfect fit. I had intended to use it with my dd for 7th grade, but we're getting more involved with a coop, so I don't think we'll have time for SL. I'm a little bummed about that, but hoping to at least use the books for summer/free reading.

Yes, I always go to Lexile.com and find the Lexile level for as many of the books as I can. My son uses the cores a year behind his grade level since I combine him with his younger sister, and I want to make sure there are a few books at a higher level for him each year. So far, there have been, but I also have him listen to audiobooks that will engage him, but challenge him as well, like Dickens, or Jules Verne.