Menu

should I address this situation?

musicianmom

I live in a small town with one library. It's a very nice library, and the children's librarian makes an effort to be helpful to homeschoolers. However, I have realized that I cannot go there anymore. They use some sort of heavy scent all through the building (I think it's those plug-in things but I'm not sure). It's like standing at a perfume counter in a department store. I have an allergic reaction every time I spend time there.

Would I be viewed as a total loony tunes if I approached someone at the library and asked them to reconsider the library's use of scented products? Is there one way to address it that's more likely to meet with success? I'm not a confrontational person, but I really hate to have to drive to the next town for library services.

I think it would be entirely appropriate to express concern. Lots of people have allergies to scented products.

I have also read that many of these products contain carcinogens. This is from the first result when I googled:

A September 2007 TIME magazine article, 'How "Fresh" is Air Freshener' reported that the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) discovered that most chemical air "fresheners" contained variable amounts of substances called phthalates (pronounced
THAL-ates
). Besides the use of phthalates used as sealants and adhesives and to soften plastics, they are also used to dissolve and carry fragrances. The TIME article went on to report that "phthalates are commonly found in a variety of products, including cosmetics, paints, nail polish and children's toys -- and have long been at the center of a larger international controversy over their health effects."

I would write a letter to the director expressing how much you value the library and how helpful you find the staff. Then add that you have been having allergic reactions to something in the building -- air freshener, cleaning supplies? -- and wonder if they would consider not using the scented product any longer. It can't hurt to ask, and it is likely bothering many people, not just you.