Menu

Snake bites and dogs

Slipper

Our boisterous border collie was bitten by a snake today. We aren't sure which kind, but we have several in our area (prominently rattlesnake). We were all out in the yard (including a friend of ours). The friend noticed our dog running and then he jumped back and went the other way. We think that is when he was bitten although he didn't bark or yelp. About twenty minutes later he came over to us. There was a small amount of blood on the side of his face but the swelling was unbelievably huge.

DH immediately took him to the vet. The vet confirmed a snake bite and gave medicine, iv fluids and medicine to take at home. She sent our dog home with DH and told him to call if he became worse.

I really feel like he should have been left overnight at the vet, but maybe I'm worrying over nothing? His face is still massively swollen, but he's wagging his tail and seems happy.

Do you think he will be all right? I'm worried that things may still go wrong. We have a good vet and I trust her, but I'm surprised that she didn't have him stay.

I have almost zero experience with this, but I would guess that if it's been several hours the swelling is probably as bad as it's going to get, and that if he's acting fine now he probably really is okay. Is your vet available after hours? Or is there an emergency vet nearby, just in case?

Thanks. We do have a number to call after-hours but no emergency vet. Our vet would probably come out to help, but it would take a bit.

So far, he's doing okay. He's having trouble getting comfortable, but is still happy to see people.

Most vets' offices do not have anyone there overnight, so being home with you probably means he is getting better attention. Where we live, only the emergency vet has anyone there in the wee hours of the morning. Maybe it is different elsewhere, but that is what I learned when our vet sent my gravely ill with pneumonia dog home with me. For what it is worth, many many years ago, we had a stray have puppies at our house, and one of the pups was bitten on the muzzle by a snake. He was fine after a day of so, but I have no idea what kind of snake it was. Another adult Newfy was bitten in the leg by s copperhead, we thought, and she also was fine.

Best of luck to your pup. Hope he is better in the morning.