Menu

Trip to Houston

Besides the Children's Museum, the Houston Zoo, and NASA, I would suggest San Jacinto Battleground/Battleship Texas and the Houston Ship Channel (boat cruises -- nice for a hot day). We've been to all these with small dc and had great times. The Children's Museum is part of the Houston Museum district, with the Museum of Fine Arts, the Science Museum and lots more.

You have to be careful at NASA. The entry part is like an amusement park, but get past that for the tour, which is incredibly impressive, and then go to the space exhibits.My advice, if you have young kids, would be to do the amusement park bit at the end.

I have always wanted to go to the Weather Museum.

Don't forget the Homeschool Store!

A lot of people recommend the Downtown Aquarium. I would NEVER visit there again, because, when we visited, there was a rare white Bengal Tiger locked up in a room made to look like a Maharaja's palace. No, no, no! Also, a very large part of the aquarium was like a carnival fair; another feature was expensive restaurants. The educational exhibits were decent, but outweighed by the other stuff. Sorry for the rant, but I don't want to pay to go to a place that has animals in subpar conditions.

If you are in Houston when there is a rodeo, that would be a spectacular experience.

http://www.tripadvis...ston_Texas.html

Check out the calendar for Miller Outdoor Theatre. They offer free shows for opera, ballet, acting, symphonies, etc., including children's programs.

Moody Gardens in Galveston is also worth the drive, esp if you're already on the south side of town near NASA and San Jac Battlefield. They have great indoor aquariums with lots of fun critters. They also have a sand beach waterpark on the premises, which is small but fun.