Menu

Road trip planner or app?

Oakblossoms

This isn't a route app, but I love the Around Me app when we travel. It will tell you the nearest anything (gas station, grocery store, hotel, etc) you are looking for, along with directions. Along the same lines, I like Trip Advisor. I know that's not what you are looking for, but those are very helpful when you arrive somewhere.

Please make sure to have an updated Atlas on your trip. the Tom Tom, Magellan and my navigator on my phone have brought us on questionable routes. At least with an Atlas you can see what routes and/or alternate routes to take if you need to.

My phone has a Where? ap that shows everything that is around you.

One one road trip, I used Google Maps, and looked for upscale grocery stores near the route. (Whole Foods, Wegmans) They were bright and clean, with nice bathrooms, quality food, and an opportunity to stretch my legs. They were all in nice, safe-feeling neighborhoods. Took a wee bit more time than a rest stop, but made the trip more of an adventure than a chore.

Flying J and Pilot truck stops have a web site with their locations, and *might* have an app. They also tend to feel safe and clean.

If your journey is all on the same highway, you might find a web site listing the rest stops. I've used that kind of site in the past to plan rest stops. They also tend to have up-to-date info about which ones are closed, etc.

On my regular log trips, I put my planned rest stops into my GPS, and route to the next one.