Menu

New Yorkers: Is US History required every year?

I don't understand why "US history" is put under the "required subjects for grades 1-8" section AND under the "at least once in first 8 grades" section. I thought perhaps any subject that is required even just once in the first 8 grades is also included in the required subjects for "grades 1 through 6" section but that doesn't seem to be the case since NY constitution is not included in the "grades 1 through 6" list.

Are the subjects under "required subjects for grades 1-8" required EVERY YEAR? I was assuming that was the point, but then, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to say that US History is required every single year in grades 1-8... Oh, and you also have to cover US History at least once before 8th grade.

Huh??

Here is what HSLDA says about required subjects, which is worded almost the same way as what's in the LEAH manual:

grades K through 12): patriotism and citizenship, substance abuse,

traffic safety, fire safety; (grades 1 through 6): arithmetic, reading,

spelling, writing, English, geography, United States history,

science, health, music, visual arts, and physical education; (grades 7

and 8): English, history and geography, science, mathematics,

physical education, health, art, music, practical arts, and library

skills; (at least once in first 8 grades): United States and New York

history and constitutions; (grades 9 through 12): 4 credits English,

4 credits of social studies—including American history,

participation in government, and economics—2 credits of math, 2

credits of science, 1 credit of art or music, 0.5 credit of health, 2

credits of physical education, and 3 credits of electives. N.Y. Educ.

Law §§ 801, 804, 806, 808, 3204.

And here is what the actual regulations say:

Required courses.

• For purposes of this subdivision, a unit means 6,480 minutes of instruction per school year.
  • Instruction in the following subjects shall be required:
    1. For grades one through six: arithmetic, reading, spelling, writing, the English language, geography, United States history, science, health education, music, visual arts, physical education, bilingual education and/or English as a second language where the need is indicated.
    2. For grades seven and eight: English (two units); history and geography (two units); science (two units); mathematics (two units); physical education (on a regular basis); health education (on a regular basis); art (one-half unit); music (one-half unit); practical arts (on a regular basis); and library skills (on a regular basis). The units required herein are cumulative requirements for both grades seven and eight.
    3. The following courses shall be taught at least once during the first eight grades: United States history, New York State history, and the Constitutions of the United States and New York State.
    4. For grades 9 through 12: English (four units); social studies (four units), which includes one unit of American history, one-half unit in participation in government, and one- half unit of economics; mathematics (two units); science (two units); art and/or music (one unit); health education (one-half unit); physical education (two units); and three units of electives. The units required herein are cumulative requirements for grades 9 through 12.
    5. Education Law, sections 801, 804, 806 and 808, also require the following subjects to be covered during grades kindergarten through 12:

1. patriotism and citizenship;
      2. health education regarding alcohol, drug and tobacco misuse;
      3. highway safety and traffic regulations, including bicycle safety; and
      4. fire and arson prevention and safety.

:001_huh: Someone please help my wee brain out. :p

Also, what is the English language if not reading, spelling, and writing? Is there something I'm missing?

This is just a guess, but maybe if you do instruction in another language, they want to know that you're also teaching English.

And if I'm being completely honest, I sometimes just tell them what they want to hear and do what I want how I want it. We are definitely doing what is required and then some, but I don't get hung up on the forms that they skim over and probably toss aside somewhere. Nobody is going to come to your house and check. KWIM?

Ahh, yes, this sounds good! This will also be our first year homeschooling, so I've had a lot to think about lately. Not getting caught up in forms is great advice.

Sounds like nobody has a definitive answer yet?

I do think the regs are worded poorly for other reasons. I wonder if they literally didn't think about the fact that US History is double-listed. It just doesn't make sense.

I do try to follow the regulations out of principle, so it would be nice to know what they mean. So annoying.

I have always done the four year history cycle and have never, ever been questioned by the district. I haven't even said I touched on NY state history or US history or anything. I mean, I do, but I haven't ever given it special mention in my quarterly reports.

I attended NY schools and I have a vague memory of doing an in depth unit on us history in elementary school, and spending an entire year on it in 7th grade and a whole year again in 10th grade. Other years we did more world history. I know we studied the explorers in 5th grade, ancient history in 6th grade... European History in 11th grade.....

FYI, though, I know that homeschool regulations are different than public school ones. So what public schools do doesn't necessarily tell us what is expected of us.

On the one hand, my district is super friendly and has never questioned my paperwork even though I have not done a year's worth of US History every year (IF that's required - I'm still not sure!). So it seems clear that I don't have to worry about it, per se. But I would like to know and do whatever is expected. I'm surprised at how poorly worded the regs are. So unclear in many areas. Sheesh.

My kids were in PS in NY for two years. Honestly, I think in many of the grades, US History counts as talking about MLK Jr. and Rosa Parks during Black History Month.... talking about Colombus, President's Day (George and Abe stuff), Thanksgiving, etc. I think if you focus on US History as a year-long study once or twice during K-8th, then your set...but as for the rest, it seemed to be more holiday-based.

FYI, though, I know that homeschool regulations are different than public school ones. So what public schools do doesn't necessarily tell us what is expected of us.

:iagree:

On the one hand, my district is super friendly and has never questioned my paperwork even though I have not done a year's worth of US History every year (IF that's required - I'm still not sure!). So it seems clear that I don't have to worry about it, per se. But I would like to know and do whatever is expected. I'm surprised at how poorly worded the regs are. So unclear in many areas. Sheesh.

Vagueness is good. It gives you much more freedom. It's what makes NY's law not nearly as draconian as it seems at first glance--there are lots of words, but heck, even I wouldn't mind living in NY. :laugh:

Yes, it's very confusing and it drives my type-A personality crazy. And I think my district has decided that it means that US History has to be taught every year. We have a new superintendant this year and he sent out a new packet of info with a list of things to be included on the IHIP. Previously the paperwork they sent out had just listed "History" and it has now been changed to "US History" - which I can't fault them for, they're just copying the regs. But I'm guessing that it means they're expecting to see US History taught every year. :unsure: It hasn't been an issue for me yet, as this year we covered New York State history. Next year we'll be doing HOD's Preparing so I plan on saying something about US History being cover as we study an overview of world history. The year after that will be HOD's CTC and that won't be covering any US history, so we'll see how that goes. Since that's two years away, I plan on not thinking about it until then. :tongue_smilie: My district has always been great to work with, I'm hoping this doesn't stir up an issue when the time comes.

As far as what the public schools cover, up through 3rd grade it's just holidays and community helpers and such. 4th is state history and 5th is US history. I believe 6th grade is ancient history. So yes, the homeschooling regs have different requirements.

Yes, it's very confusing and it drives my type-A personality crazy. And I think my district has decided that it means that US History has to be taught every year. We have a new superintendant this year and he sent out a new packet of info with a list of things to be included on the IHIP. Previously the paperwork they sent out had just listed "History" and it has now been changed to "US History" - which I can't fault them for, they're just copying the regs. But I'm guessing that it means they're expecting to see US History taught every year. :unsure: It hasn't been an issue for me yet, as this year we covered New York State history. Next year we'll be doing HOD's Preparing so I plan on saying something about US History being cover as we study an overview of world history. The year after that will be HOD's CTC and that won't be covering any US history, so we'll see how that goes. Since that's two years away, I plan on not thinking about it until then. :tongue_smilie: My district has always been great to work with, I'm hoping this doesn't stir up an issue when the time comes.

As far as what the public schools cover, up through 3rd grade it's just holidays and community helpers and such. 4th is state history and 5th is US history. I believe 6th grade is ancient history. So yes, the homeschooling regs have different requirements.

If I understand correctly, you don't have to describe in detail to what extent you are teaching each thing, right? So, going to a living history day in your community, or a Fourth of July presentation somewhere, or visiting Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, which you might do anyway, would count, right? And there are no regs which dictate to what extent you must "teach" something, right? Well, then, it should be a piece of cake, because really, how would it be possible not to do *something* every year that could be filed under the heading of "U.S. history"?

If I understand correctly, you don't have to describe in detail to what extent you are teaching each thing, right? So, going to a living history day in your community, or a Fourth of July presentation somewhere, or visiting Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, which you might do anyway, would count, right? And there are no regs which dictate to what extent you must "teach" something, right? Well, then, it should be a piece of cake, because really, how would it be possible not to do *something* every year that could be filed under the heading of "U.S. history"?

I like how you think ;)