Menu

switching from Abeka to ?

pjssully

My son has been using Abeka for two 1/2 year now and is in book 5. It seems that book 5 is mostly a review of topics, which is very discouraging to my son. I would like to switch him since I don't want to use Abeka for high grades anyways.

Has anyone switch from Abeka at this point, and what did you switch to?

Can I can some advice as to what programs are out there? I don't want Singapore or Math u See for sure. But I am open to anything else. I was kinda thinking of Saxon 7/6.

Thanks for any feedback

pam

For math? Or what?

If you're thinking about Saxon (and BTW, when Math 76 was first published, the sound of people bailing out of ABeka was like Niagara Falls), then you would have your dc take the placement test.

For math? Or what?

If you're thinking about Saxon (and BTW, when Math 76 was first published, the sound of people bailing out of ABeka was like Niagara Falls), then you would have your dc take the placement test.

Good to know! My dd is about to finish up book 4 ABeka and we were wondering where to go from here.

YES, THIS WOULD BE FOR MATH- JUST WONDERING IF THERE IS ANYTHING ELSE BESIDES SAXON. i AM NOT OPPOSED TO SAXON AT ALL-BUT JUST WONDERING WHAT OTHER OPTION THERE WOULD BE THAT WE COULD STICK WITH FOR THE LONG RUN!

PAM

Both my children really love Teaching Textbooks. You definitely would want to do the placement test though. Many students place into a higher grade. CLE (christian light eduction) is also loved by many.

We went from Abeka grades 1 and 3 to Math Mammoth. We almost went with Saxon for my oldest, but I fell in love with Math Mammoth and am very happy with it. I switched all my kids and everyone is doing well with it (my youngest started MM1 this year and is flying through).

I've heard great things about Saxon too, and most everyone I know, who started out with Abeka, ended up switching to Saxon.

Best of luck in deciding. There are many good options.