Menu

Epistemology - Elegantlion?

An absolutely wonderful gentleman who is a retired school administrator/teacher recommended a book for my daughter after he heard that she wanted to be a writer. It was Theory of Knowledge which is the IB text on epistemology and, I noticed while searching here, a book used by Elegantlion.

So...Just wondering how it's going, if you guys enjoy it and if it works well in homeschooling. Also wondering if you use the skills and practice book I found here.

ETA: He also reccomended a book, Realms of Meaning, by Philip H. Phenix and it sounds wonderful.

We used the Cambridge version of the TOK guide. It was an absolute joy to use. It includes deep thinking questions without making your child feel overwhelmed. It was a true highlight of our year. Ds has a philosophical bent, so it was up his alley. It's not a book I would have a child read on their own, it's meant to be used with discussion and interaction.

I also found this wonderful support site. You can sign up for teacher material including a schedule and assessments. They aren't simply tests, as it's set up for the IB program. You could tweak them. I didn't find the resources until we were almost done with the book, but I've opted to use another IB guide next year (language and lit) because of the support.

I really think every child should have some exposure at least to first four chapters in this book. I don't have time to dig out the book now, but I will later and explain why I say that.

I look forward to that.

I'm also happy about the book you linked to - it's considerably cheaper then the Oxford book. I think I could loan it for free through the Dept. of Education but I would always rather own books like that.

Part 1 is called "Knowers and Knowing". It has two chapters, "The Problem of Knowledge", and "The nature of knowledge".

Part 2 is Ways of Knowing. There is one chapter each on Language, perception, reason, and emotion. These were our favorite

The rest of the book goes through various subject and discusses the knowledge in each one.

The chapters also contain recommendations on extended reading, but you don't really need anything extra. We spent about 2 weeks on each chapter.

I ordered a copy for myself. IMO it's important to have the teacher read each chapter as well. I tend write all my notes in books, so we needed two copies. The older version (blue cover) is the same as the newer version. The new version has some very small changes, like a sentence here or there, and color pictures. The content is the same. HTH

That's helpful. Do you guys do it every day or just once or twice a week? I'm finding it hard to add much else in to my daughter's schedule on weekdays between her workload and my other kids.

A light went on when you said, "2 copies." D'uh. I've been trying, and failing, to read ahead of Catherine because we only have one copy of her books. I could just buy two and then there would be no issue plus she could be building a library to take with her when she moves on. I'm always amazed when problems have simple solutions I've overlooked for ages.

That's helpful. Do you guys do it every day or just once or twice a week? I'm finding it hard to add much else in to my daughter's schedule on weekdays between her workload and my other kids.

A light went on when you said, "2 copies." D'uh. I've been trying, and failing, to read ahead of Catherine because we only have one copy of her books. I could just buy two and then there would be no issue plus she could be building a library to take with her when she moves on. I'm always amazed when problems have simple solutions I've overlooked for ages.

We would do the class 2-3 times per week. Depends upon how far off on a tangent we went with the conversation.

I buy two copies of most everything we use. I started this when it got to the point I couldn't simply glance at his books and know what he was doing, or read through a book quickly. It does build a nice library. We also have a very interactive type of schooling, so it saves us from getting too distracted.

Paula,

This looks like something that both my rising 9th and 12th graders would really enjoy. Did you use both books that are listed in the Frequently Bought Together mid-pg? Is this the type of course where the 2 of them could really get into some interesting discussions? They read Paradise Lost and Divine Comedy together this yr and the discussions have been wonderful. I would like to have something that we can do together next yr and this sounds like it might be an interesting option.

Thanks!

I'm wondering that as well. I would love to get Catherine together with another homeschooled teen (*cough* ColleeninNS *cough*) or two. It does seems from what I've now read of the IB program that there is an expectation of group discussion in TOK so I imagine the text has room for that.

Paula,

This looks like something that both my rising 9th and 12th graders would really enjoy. Did you use both books that are listed in the Frequently Bought Together mid-pg? Is this the type of course where the 2 of them could really get into some interesting discussions? They read Paradise Lost and Divine Comedy together this yr and the discussions have been wonderful. I would like to have something that we can do together next yr and this sounds like it might be an interesting option.

Thanks!

No, I only used the Cambridge book. I assume the Oxford book has a similar set up. I liked the Cambridge book better for some reason, which I can't remember now. With the teacher support, it seems an even better choice. I have not looked to see if the Oxford book has any new support.

You could really that the part two and expand it over several weeks. There are discussion points within the text in all chapters.

I haven't found any online support for the Oxford book but there seems to be something of an accompanying workbook that I linked to in my first post.

IIRC The skills and practice books are new with the latest edition. I don't think they were available when I was looking, I know nothing about them.