Menu

Reading along with audiobooks-- opinions? Theories?

I haven't done the best job since early childhood to cultivate a joy in reading, and my newly 9yr old twin b&g are not like the prodigies of many WTM forum members (or they seem like reading prodigies compared to my kids).

I was thinking of trying to make them physically read while listening to audiobooks. Starting with Magic Treehouse, and hoping to work up some day to Harry Potter. Currently they are unable to listen to even HP book 1 at 9 years old, and I read to children very well.

Is there any reason this audibook/book pairing would be a bad idea, good idea long term? I tried it once with my non- reluctant reader and she had fun. Not tried it yet on reluctant boy.

anyone else tried this or what do you think based on your teaching theories?

With the caveat that my oldest is only 5, I think it's great. He stumbled upon this app on his Kindle and began asking for more books that he could read along with. Audible and Amazon make the process easy. Open an immersion reader ebook, press play, then the words highlight as they're read.

I like it for myself even. It's great for reading plays. I get a lot more from Shakespeare when I read the play while listening to an audio performance.

I think it's a good idea, and worth a try.

My newly 9 yr old boy is a reluctant reader. He does not enjoy it, though he loves audiobooks - I suspect because he can be active while listening. We listen to a lot of audiobooks here.

We recently listened to D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, and I was shocked when he ran to the bookshelf and read along. He followed along for the entire book. Twice! The choice of book was his, this was just for fun, so I'd definitely let them have input into the audiobook.

We also do MCT, and I have him read along for that, too. That's fairly new for us, so that may have contributed to the enthusiasm.

Depends. Does he like listening to audiobooks? When you say he's unable to listen to HP, do you mean while you're reading it or on audiobook?

Not all read alouds work for each kid. My oldest liked fantasy type stuff, but my Kinder was happier hearing Ramona Quimby read aloud. Cleary books make my oldest want to rip his ears out. Sometimes you have to keep trying things to see what sticks. My oldest will read and re-read anything written by Roald Dahl. For school time I ask him to read something non fiction because he shies away from that genre.

But both of them (and me as well) just really dislike most audiobooks.

If kids like them, I'm all for them. Also for sneaky reading practice , I keep subtitles on the television for everything we watch. To practice reading you may try shared reading. MTH is a good series to start with. That series really jump started my oldest in wanting to read for the pleasure of it. You may try reading a page and then having your ds read the next aloud to you. Just keep practicing his read aloud time in school to insure nothing gets rusty.

Also i would still keep reading aloud to them yourself. Nothing can replace a real human voice imho. (as in right there, not recorded). Just make it a part of each afternoon or bedtime and make it a necessity. Read one chapter or half a chapter, but do get them used to expecting it along with the audiobooks.

With the caveat that my oldest is only 5, I think it's great. He stumbled upon this app on his Kindle and began asking for more books that he could read along with. Audible and Amazon make the process easy. Open an immersion reader ebook, press play, then the words highlight as they're read.

I like it for myself even. It's great for reading plays. I get a lot more from Shakespeare when I read the play while listening to an audio performance.

what type of Kindle is this on?

I don't have a link, but I know there was a study that showed older struggling readers made a 5 year gain in just a few months, when listening to audio books and reading along at the same time.

My youngest listened and read through the KJV Bible multiple times, and had amazing reading skills. He could pick up any book written or translated in the 1500s and 1600s and read it like a popculture novel, and didn't understand why the rest of us thought older books were harder than newer books, and would just look at me with a confused look.

Thanks! that is encouraging.

My kids currently like Magic Treehouse audiobooks but we are rapidly approaching book 35, when it gets super expensive. it took a while to get my boy to be able to follow the story. not a year ago, we had to start with frog and toad.

The pro.blem with HP1 is he simply cannot follow the language and also there is a lot of description and little action-- it's just too advanced for him even though he is 9. I haven't tried the audiobook, but only read to him.

I don't have the fortitude to read a whole lot especially if they don't understand. Many a time I have read myself breathless only to discover that they did not understand anything. but a steady regimen of tandem MT audiobooks and reading might work as I already know they can follow it.

Yes! Listening while reading builds fluency, expression, and pronunciation. My 5th grader is dyslexic and struggles with books that are more .... nuanced, or that have characters with oddball names. He loves stories, but doesn't love reading. I give him audiobooks to listen to while he reads to keep feeding him age-appropriate stories and to build his stamina and skill.