Menu

Can I get some help thinking this through, please?

This is sort of a spin off of a few different threads. Such as the teaching only 3 subjects, bare minimum/suitcase schooling for traveling/living off-grid, etc, simplifying, teaching certain subjects without curriculum.

Since we've been schooling (sort-of) for a little more than a year now, I'm learning more about myself as a teacher, and my children as students. I say sort of because we've had many false starts, re-boots, trying different things, discovering what I do and do not know how to explain, trying something new and on and on. Many days it is so overwhelming for me to try to figure out our next step that I just don't even bother trying - so we watch edutainment shows. Even trying to figure out a daily or weekly schedule is tough for me, trying to figure out how to fit it all in.

On that note, I think what I want to try to do is simplify and focus more, so I don't have to fit it all in, not all at once anyway. I think I'd like to have only 2 or 3 subjects that are done everyday (possibly following a curriculum), with the rest being more of a block schedule/unit type study focused on one area at a time - and most likely not following a curriculum, but maybe some sort of guide.

For things like science, history, literature, geography, etc. I think I'd rather go more organically. Books, shows, games, lapbooks, etc. I've spent SO much money on curriculum that is just sitting on the shelves right now.

I guess what I'm looking for is: 1) a little bit of guidance on the Top 3 (besides math, the other 2 can possibly change by year/grade/semester) and 2) resources for guides, games, lapbooks, fun things for all the other subjects. 3 )reassurance that I haven't completely ruined my kid's education by accomplishing a whole lot of nothing so far this school year.

Example: Right now for DD10/5th, I have math, writing ______________?? (latin? logic?)

For DS7/1st would be math, handwriting and _______________?? (writing? or ??)

Focus subject for now: finish, at least, reading SOTW

Focus subject for mid-May/June: spelling (finish LOE)

Does anyone else do something like this?

Sorry if this is hard to follow. I am hoping that writing it out will help me to flesh it out in my own mind to help ME make sense of it, as well. :)

I can tell you what I've done:

Before 5th grade - daily handwriting or penmanship, spelling (even if it is just going over words for 5 min.), history read-alouds 3x a week, science 2x a week, math.

After 5th grade - history reading (to self) 3x a week, science reading (to self) 2x a week, occasional projects in both as they come up, some kind of language arts (loosely following Rod and Staff), math

Back when I was radical LCC (the method not the book) our 3 subjects were Math, Latin and Greek.

When we did Bible Based unit studies we did mostly math, Bible, and a spelling computer game.

When the boys were doing American School, it was Bible, extra math, and whatever AS courses the school sent to them (sometimes just 1 or 2 at a time).

Now with my tutoring students it's pretty much Alpha-Phonics copywork, math, and What Your Grader Needs to Know.

The old order Amish do the 3Rs and geography

Over the years, I have often had 3 priorities. They changed over time, which provided some balance. Sometimes I was too broke to afford the books for all subjects at a time, so I would double up on what I had, and then later double up on something else.