Menu

PSA for Kindle users: books become unavailable

regentrude

Thank you -- you are both so helpful!

I went to the Kindle for PC page:

http://www.amazon.co...450200#download

Now I see what is going on -- the app is for WINDOWS computers, and I have a MAC.

Good news -- maybe I am not completely incompetent.

Bad news -- Amazon prefers Windows over Mac.

Try the Mac app store. I have the Kindle app on my Mac laptop, so I know it's out there, but can't remember where I got it!

Thank you -- you are both so helpful!

I went to the Kindle for PC page:

http://www.amazon.co...450200#download

Now I see what is going on -- the app is for WINDOWS computers, and I have a MAC.

Good news -- maybe I am not completely incompetent.

Bad news -- Amazon prefers Windows over Mac.

You can use Kindle for PC (which is the app that lets you read kindle books directly on your computer) OR you can choose "download and transfer via USB). Choosing download and transfer lets you save the ebook file and then later (at ANY time), plug your kindle into your computer with the usb cord and copy the file over. If you download books through Kindle for PC, you CAN'T copy those books to your kindle, only read them on the computer screen. So although both Kindle for PC and download and transfer via USB" put an ebook file on your computer, they each can only be read in particular ways.

If you are backing up with the intent to strip the DRM, it doesn't matter which of these you choose. If you are backing up WITHOUT stripping DRM, think about whether you will want to read your back ups on the computer or your kindle (or do both) and choose the appropriate one.

Try the Mac app store. I have the Kindle app on my Mac laptop, so I know it's out there, but can't remember where I got it!

Found it :) For Mac.

http://www.amazon.co...ocId=1000464931

Thank you -- I downloaded it. Anything Mac is just so easy!

So I tried with one of Amazon's free previews and chose 'Deliver to....' A new choice popped up (in addition to Kindle and iPad) -- Kindle Cloud Reader. I put the book on my Mac, and the same book is on my Kindle. That is great, as there are a few things -- like Uncovering the Logic of English -- that have charts which don't work very well on my tiny Kindle. Plus, if I pay money for downloads, I just think in principle that I should be able to use them where I wish, as I am not selling them or loaning them or giving them away.

At some point, I'll learn about the DRM stuff.... (Again just for me, not selling, loaning, giving.)

Thank you for taking the trouble to walk me through this.

You can use Kindle for PC (which is the app that lets you read kindle books directly on your computer) OR you can choose "download and transfer via USB). Choosing download and transfer lets you save the ebook file and then later (at ANY time), plug your kindle into your computer with the usb cord and copy the file over. If you download books through Kindle for PC, you CAN'T copy those books to your kindle, only read them on the computer screen. So although both Kindle for PC and download and transfer via USB" put an ebook file on your computer, they each can only be read in particular ways.

Wow, if I am understanding you correctly, that seems just plain mean of Amazon.

If you are backing up with the intent to strip the DRM, it doesn't matter which of these you choose. If you are backing up WITHOUT stripping DRM, think about whether you will want to read your back ups on the computer or your kindle (or do both) and choose the appropriate one.

I installed calibre and downloaded everything through Kindle for PC. I've got almost 300 ebooks total, with about 40 of them listed with a title such as "B001GMANO4 EBOK" , author unknown, and a MBP format. It won't let me convert them either; it says format unknown. Any ideas how to figure out what these are, or how to fix them?

I absolutely *loathe* the thought of downloading 300 books to my PC one at a time through Amazon, but I guess I'll have to do that before I can convert and remove the DRM for them?

I thought a CC and one-click is required for e-books. I could be thinking of Instant Video, but don't have time to look it up right now.

I do have a primary CC set up for my account but I do not have one click set up nor would I advise it. I have no problem buying Kindle books this way. I do think that you have to use one click for Instant Videos. You just hit watch now and it starts. We have had to have a few refunded because we accidently got clicky and hit a button we didn't mean to.

Also I don't think that I pay tax here in TN. It has to do with if the company has a physical presence in your state. It just changed in our state, in that they did have a presence (and we had to pay taxes) or they didn't (and we didn't have to pay taxes). I think it is the former and is now the latter.