Menu

Scavenger Hunt ideas needed

Amethyst

I'm having a birthday party for my soon-to-be 13 year old. The theme is movies, and one of the things she wants to do is a scavenger hunt. I'm hoping that someone here will have some good ideas. I've heard of scavenger hunts that have the kids going all over the neighborhood, but I'd really rather keep it to our backyard and/or inside the house. I was thinking of getting some of those boxes of movie-sized candies and the first one finished gets to choose their candy first, and so on until everyone has a box of candy, and then they can go watch the movie.

The only idea I had so far was to link it to the movie theme. For instance, for the movie Cars, they need to find something with wheels; for Harry Potter they need to find something they could use as a wand, etc. But I don't know if that will get too complex. So I'm open to other ideas. (or if you want to help with suggestions for the movie themed scavenger hunt, here are some of the movies I've come up with so far...Up, Ratatouille, Mean Girls, Princess Bride, Pocahontas, Ella Enchanted, High School Musical, Happy Feet (something black and white), Elf, Inkheart, Bridge to Terabithia)

All ideas welcome. TIA!

I think it would be easier to come up with something for each movie and then let your daughter choose which movie she wanted to watch.

Up - Balloons or tennis balls - How do they escape from the dogs in the ship? (hint: he started with four of them)

Ratatouille - hide bulbs of garlic (how many kids are there going to be?) - How would Remy fend off vampires?

Princess Bride - a book - Princess Bride is actually about a grandpa doing what with his grandson?

Pocahontas - buy some cheap compasses? Surely as popular as pirates are right now you could find some.

Ella Enchanted - Hide hearts (paper, toy whatever) - Sing along: Can anybody find me?

Elf - paper snowflakes? Maple leaves? - His favorite syrup comes from what tree?

Happy Feet (something black and white) <-- good idea

Only watched these once, not well enough to remember.

Inkheart -

Bridge to Terabithia -

High School Musical - Never watched it

Mean Girls - Never watched it

Sorry for the confusion...I am looking for all sorts of ideas. If you had a scavenger hunt that was successful, I would be happy to hear your ideas! Right now, I'm leaning towards a movie-themed scavenger hunt, but I'm still undecided and very open to different ideas.

But...if you don't have any different ideas and would be willing to help me come up with ideas to go along with the movies I've listed, that would be great too. The idea is to do one item from each of the movies. The movie they will be watching is Ratatouille.

She has invited 13 girls. I'm hoping to not have to buy too many items for the scavenger hunt itself (although I realize I may have to buy some), and I would prefer that they were things already in my house or backyard.

Thanks for all the great suggestion, Oceanseve. I like the idea of hints - I was just going to say "go find such-and-such" but the hints would make it a little more challenging which would be a good thing for this age group, I think.

we have done scavenger hunts here. for my daughter's 12th birthday we are doing one around town (which i realize you don't want to do), but you could apply the same concept in your own house/yard. basically, we're borrowing from the amazing race. they will have a challenge or some trivia that they will need to complete to receive the next clue. some challenges may include finding something, doing something (physical or mental challenge), and we'll probably throw in a little fear factor type stuff for fun.

this would work great with 13 year olds and movies. for example a challenge could be quoting a movie, a puzzle of sorts related to movie (picture of a star, a quote, a scene from a movie, etc,), acting something out via charades, dancing like napoleon dynamite, talking like a specfic character. trivia could be anything movie related & you could use multiple choice questions to make it even easier.

anyway. just some quick thoughts. have fun!!! :)

we have done scavenger hunts here. for my daughter's 12th birthday we are doing one around town (which i realize you don't want to do), but you could apply the same concept in your own house/yard. basically, we're borrowing from the amazing race. they will have a challenge or some trivia that they will need to complete to receive the next clue. some challenges may include finding something, doing something (physical or mental challenge), and we'll probably throw in a little fear factor type stuff for fun.

this would work great with 13 year olds and movies. for example a challenge could be quoting a movie, a puzzle of sorts related to movie (picture of a star, a quote, a scene from a movie, etc,), acting something out via charades, dancing like napoleon dynamite, talking like a specfic character. trivia could be anything movie related & you could use multiple choice questions to make it even easier.

anyway. just some quick thoughts. have fun!!! :)

I'm think I"m going to use your idea of having them identify the movie based on a quote. Most of the other things on the list will be objects, but I liked the quote idea so I'm going to use it. Thanks for the suggestion.