Menu

Good Military history course/book?

My son will entering 9th grade this fall and the "official high school" timeframe will begin. Talk about scaring the daylights out of a parent!

Anyway, he has consistently talked about going into the Marines for the last 2 yrs and I see that as a likely scenario for him.

As I lay out his high school courses he has asked about a military history class. He has been reading many first person accounts and gulf war books this year-mainly on the Marines but also Army.

For the next 4 yrs of history I was planning on a 20th century history course, world history, econ/government (1 semester each), and that leaves me with 1 yr left. I was planning on doing Runkles Geography for that year but I can still add a Military history course in there somewhere.

Anyone have any courses they suggest or good book(s) that are engaging and not just dry facts?

Thanks!

Try the links in this thread:

Reading list for US military academies

I'm also a fan of Victor Davis Hanson. Ripples of Battle is one of my favorites. The Western Way of War is also good.

I very much recommend reading or listening to biographies and autobiographies of military figures. There is much to be learned from them, including that a great many things don't really ever change.

If you're open to an online class, take a look at Landry Academy. They have several single semester courses which have more of a military/war focus including:History of Airpower, Civil War, World War II, Cold War. You might take a look at the reading list even if not interested in the courses. The Teaching Company has a few courses which might also be of interest including Masters of War: History's Greatest Strategic Thinkers and WWII: A Military and Social History.

Thanks everyone, those links gave me a few good books to start a list with. I will also check the Teaching Co because we like their programs too.

Just to clarify, my son is not on track for a service academy. I think he will likely do 2 yrs of community college for an assoc degree then enlist.

Thanks everyone, those links gave me a few good books to start a list with. I will also check the Teaching Co because we like their programs too.

Just to clarify, my son is not on track for a service academy. I think he will likely do 2 yrs of community college for an assoc degree then enlist.

I just remembered that particular thread had a pretty good set of links to reading lists.

If you haven't done American History on a high school level, I would probably second the idea of including that in high school.

We have taken two years to get through the modern era from Colonization to WW2. We did find that we were covering a lot of military history in the course of doing modern times. So you might find that you could have an emphasis on military topics without a specific course.

(And, for what it's worth, my sons often seem to more enjoy dipping into military related books that aren't assigned with a due date. YMMV)

I would also say that there's no reason you can't include a heavy focus on military history within/alongside the other history classes you have scheduled. Both modern and world history are very conducive to throwing on military books as well.

The reason I did not have American History listed was because he read the entire Joy Hakim series this year so I figured he was good for a full Amer History course. Should we do another one with a more advanced text later in high school?

That's pretty juvenile for high school, unless you have a struggling learner. I would count it as a good middle school course instead.

The reason I did not have American History listed was because he read the entire Joy Hakim series this year so I figured he was good for a full Amer History course. Should we do another one with a more advanced text later in high school?

I think teen years are almost as developmental as toddler years. If you planned another American history course for high school, he would be able to handle much more nuanced information and books in addition to a textbook.

Speaking as someone with a number of years of military service, I wouldn't pass up the chance to cover US History on a deeper level. It really has the possiblity of supporting a life long interest that would definitely be of value to someone in the military.