Menu

Reading list for US military academies

I don't think there is one reading list that covers all service academies, is there? I know each service commander and usually the top NCO put out reading lists. I can't find an official "West Point" reading list, I'm not sure if the other service academies put one out.

Here are some various reading lists:

http://www.history.army.mil/prlist.html

http://gradstore.west-point.org/shinsekilist_2.html

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/awc-prof.htm#reading

I'm looking for the reading lists for the US military academies.

Google only comes up with partial lists.

Would any military families have a link to the lists?

Please...

The Navy has several CNO reading lists, broken down by rank. The MCPON also has a reading list. The Navy lists are here.

A number of other reading lists are here, at the Joint Warfare Analysis Center site.

I'm a Naval Academy grad and volunteer admissions information officer.

If you are interested in books that would be good prep for future cadets or midshipmen, that would be a little different.

I can also make some recommendations if you are looking for info about admissions.

• 1 month later...
I'm looking for the reading lists for the US military academies.

Google only comes up with partial lists.

Would any military families have a link to the lists?

Please...

I found a midshipman reading list from the Naval Academy ethics center. There are lists for each of the four midshipman years as well as lists for various service specialties.

The list was originally compiled by Brig Gen Allen, who is one deep thinker. He was a company officer when I was a mid and spent about a year as Commandant before his selection as Brig General. I listened to him convince a room of skeptical alumni that one of the graduation week traditions was not only not as traditional as we thought, but worthy of being replaced by Sea Trials and allowed to gradually fade away.

There was definitely not a West Point reading list when I was there ('82 - '86), nor when I did Admissions ('94 - '03).

Ds is applying now, and no one has mentioned a reading list to him either.

PS. Sebastian, that's a great list! Lots of good books on it. What class were you?

91 Ma'am

There wasn't a reading list along these lines when I was there either. In fact I think that the CNO's reading list was just being introduced. Now there are lists for various ranks from junior enlisted through master chief and for officers of various ranks.

The reading list I linked to isn't for prospective candidates, it is a reading list for current midshipmen.

Books I would suggest for candidates

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein (USNA grad and sci fi writer extraordinare). In my mind, this is one of the best leadership books, hands down. Servant leadership, sacrifice, loss of friends and comrades and the sense of satisfaction of serving your company well.

First Class by Sharon Disher (USNA class of 1980). About the first four years of women being at USNA. Covers the sense of alienation, loneliness, and consequences of decisions that face all midshipmen, not just women. I am so glad to see the number of things that have changed. But it is also a cautionary tale. There was one character that all through the book I kept hoping she would change the road she was on.

A Sense of Honor by James Webb (USNA Class of 1968) A classic, even though there were a couple howlers where he should have had a plebe proofread his text (the skylight is in Memorial Hall, sir, not Smoke Hall). Even though lots of the attitude is different, much of the stress and quest for place and purpose are still there. And at least when I was there, Glo Coat and an damp sponge was still the best way to wax your floor.

All The Ships At Sea by William Lederer (WWII era grad and co-author of The Ugly American) One of the funniest books I've ever read about the academy or the Navy. One part explains how a smart alec response during inspection of the bathroom he was responsible for led to his application being approved. This has been reprinted in paperback, but you can probably find used hardback copies for less.