Menu

Found a perfect house, but Terrified!

acsnmama

We found a house we think we may want to put an offer on, but I'm so nervous about this. My DH is just all for it, and while I am, I'm so nervous about costs, and we've never owned a home before. The house set up is exactly what we've been looking for, and aside from a couple of small things, there is nothing that we would be "sacrificing" in what we want in a home.

I'm terrified of making such a big commitment, but I'm ready to move on from apartment living!

I'm praying that God will show us if this is it. We feel it is, but the process is going to send my anxiety through the roof!

If your numbers work, if you have some additional savings, if the house is what you want, jump in! I'm a Realtor, so I see these kinds of nerves a lot. Completely normal. Don't let your fears hold you and your family back. Double check the numbers...

I love being a home owner. Yes, it's work. Yes, it's scary. It's also incredibly satisfying to come 'home' and know you are home.

Keep us posted...

Nerves are perfectly normal! It is a big commitment, but you can change stuff, plant a garden, build a swing set, and so on. There are busted pipes, leaky roofs, and the like too, but those pale in comparison to knowing that one day you will own the home (not the bank lol) and have some security. We have owned a home for 13 years, and we love it despite the problems that arise.

Doesn't our realtor make the offer?

I think it depends on where you live. I'm from Michigan and the realtor makes the offer.

As far as the house, if there a just a few small sacrifices and your inspector said it was solid, I would jump on it in a heartbeat. It is stressful, but you will be so relieved when you walk in the front door as the owner.

I'm still nervous 5 years later. We had paid off our previous home, so financing a different one makes me scared. But living next to my sister and her family is an opportunity we couldn't pass up. But, I digress. Congratulations. Enjoy! Do you have a good working budget? Are you well aware of costs you may not have thought through? Do you have a sinking fund plan for savings for replacement of appliances, HVAC, pest control, yard work, blinds, furniture, property taxes, paint, tree removal, anything that might arise unexpectedly... We've seen folks on the other end of this, having bought houses they really couldn't afford. So just be sure on paper that you can with ease. And then enjoy. God will give you wisdom and sometimes that comes through listening to the counsel of many and accepting the counsel of a few of them.

An offer is just that, an offer.

You still have to have a home inspection. Do not forgo a home inspection. Do not let your love of the house make you blind to what may be wrong with the house.

Depending on the area you are in though you may not want to wait too long to make an offer.

Good luck!