Menu

Earth Science spine recs?

RootAnn

I already have a spine for our Astronomy next year, but I'm seeking a spine for Earth Science. I'd be using it with a 2nd/3rd grader, a 5th grader, & maybe a tag-a-long K'er. I'm not looking for a full-blown program because we'll only do science twice per week (two hours max) and Earth Science will only be half our year's study. The fifth grader is not even close to be working at the logic-stage level, so I'm looking at gearing it more toward 3rd/4th grade level.

I designed my own earth science study four years ago, but am not really enthused about using the same spine (Planet Earth). I have a separate Weather hands-on book & experiment book. I have access to some living books. I'm just looking for an overall spine - preferably not an Usborne or other encyclopedia book.

I've looked into A Child's Geography by Voskamp, but am unsure if that's what I'm looking for. (Seems very much in the same vein as Jeanne Fullbright's elementary Apologia books. Someone help me out here & tell me if that's a correct assumption? Narrative with lots of God-made-this-special mentions?) We like narrative, but something more secular would be nice.

What other books should I look into?

I'm having the same problem. I have Voskamp's book, but is very apologia like and it doesn't cover things like rocks and fossils that I would want in an ES curriculum. I also looked at the Usborne First Encyclopedia of the Earth, but it just didn't have enough to it.

Spine-worthy, narrative, non-encyclopedia, not a full program, secular, non-fiction earth science targeted to 3rd/4th graders. Hmm . . . that's a tough one. Have you looked at DK Eyewitness Earth? It is secular and less choppy and blurby than Usborne but also not really narrative, so I don't know if you'd like it. But I think it makes a good spine for organizing a semester of study. I can see why you asked . . so just consider this mostly a bump!

Wow, when you list it so succinctly, I'm pretty picky, aren't I? :blush:

My local library, surprisingly, has that DK book. I'll check it out next time I'm there.

Dahliarw - Thanks for the input on the Voskamp book. Based on all I read, I assumed it read like the young Apologia books.

Not to derail this thread, but would you mind sharing the Astronomy spine you're using?

:lol: We're using Apologia's Astronomy.

:blush: Yeah, I know. :rolleyes:

My excuse is I've used it before & know how to tweak it. (We're going to use it with ES's Lapbooking through the Solar System.) I also know that after a semester of it, we'll be ready for something very non-Apologia-like.

Crimson Wife - Thanks for the rec. I've looked extensively through Mr. Q's free Life Science previously. For so many reasons, Mr. Q is not for my current batch of kids. (I'm reserving the right to say later it might work with youngest or younger two. But not for the older two.)

:lol: We're using Apologia's Astronomy.

:blush: Yeah, I know. :rolleyes:

My excuse is I've used it before & know how to tweak it. (We're going to use it with ES's Lapbooking through the Solar System.) I also know that after a semester of it, we'll be ready for something very non-Apologia-like.

Okay, THAT I was not expecting! :lol: Thank you!