Menu

I just went to my 1st hs'ing high school seminar. Wow!

Ds is starting 7th grade. I haven't read a hs high school book yet. This was my 1st experience with the whole scary subject. I only know 1 person IRL who is hs'ing high school and they are starting this year.

It totally blew my mind because the facilitator emphasized the freedom we have as homeschoolers to tailor to our children's interests. For some reason, I didn't write it off as just another unschooler talking.

She talked about the different ways to define a high school credit:

• #hours of instruction
  • #hours on task
  • finishing a book regardless of time
  • mastery of material regardless of time

So, I've been terrified of high school, particularly science. I was scarred for life because I had to kill the frog (at least that's the way I remember it) before I dissected it in Biology. That was where my science learning ended. And yet, I basically thought that I had to put my son through the same thing (and more) in order to get to college.

One of my son's interests is sports. I started thinking about having him investigate the science of sports. I can see biology and physics easily, not so much chemistry yet. It was just such of a shift in thought for me that I had to share it. It made me excited about the thought of hs'ing high school rather than terrified of it.

Thanks for listening! :001_smile:

After all that hard work laying the foundation in grades K - 8, training our children through the toddler years, surviving (and helping them survive) the hormonal erratics of the middle school years . . . it's sooooo nice to begin reaping the richness of discussion and some semblance of organization and motivation and mastery in the high school years.

Not only can you manage high school, Sue, you all can thrive. It is daunting scary at first. And all four years will be somewhat of a learning curve as you make decisions about volunteer work, jobs, sports, APs, dual-enrollment, outsourced classes, on-line classes, SAT IIs, CLEP and more.

And in Florida, I really feel like we have the best of all worlds. Our kids can take classes at the local high school, participate in extracurriculars, do extracurriculars with a private school, use FLVS, dual enroll for free and still have access to Bright Futures. I wouldn't do high school any other way at this point.

Blessings!

Lisa

Thanks for the encouragement. Actually, I lurk on the high school board a bit. I thought about posting my message there, but I'm a little afraid because my revelation isn't quite WTMish enough. :confused:

I think the more you lurk there, the more you'll find all manner of homeschoolers from the very classical to the more relaxed. It is a very supportive environment.

Regards,

Kareni

Wow, Sue, congratulations! What a relief to go from "terror" to excitement about homeschooling highschool! I think you'll do a great job! It's like having kids: You get used to one, and then are scared of having TWO! but you get used to it, and it starts working, and may turn out to be not as hard as you originally thought!

May God richly bless your efforts!