Menu

Best assignments...teacher manuals??

I am looking for a full year curriculum for my 10th grade dd. she needs to be independent for our sanity...and so she can progress while I am busy with brothers or work. I work with her often in the evening and early morning....but I just do not have the time, inclination or patience to write out another teachers manual ;-).

I was looking at My Fathers World....but am not sure she can follow it independently...mostly.

Any other ideas for high school?

Thanks,

Faithe....who is frantically shopping for next years books....because I need to be more prepared than I was this year!

Hi Faithe,

Would you consider Kolbe? The plans are very easily followed by the student w/clear assignments and discussion notes elaborating key areas. Here are some of their sample lesson plans:

http://www.kolbe.org/documents/tenth/Literature10Sample.pdf

http://www.kolbe.org/documents/science/Chemistry10thGradeWilbraham09Sample.pdf

I obviously can't judge how much Catholicism is in the curriculum since I don't pay attention. :) My feeling is that it is low key, but that may be completely inaccurate.

An option for lit that is similar in lay out/detailed plans with teaching notes is Smarr's literature.

http://www.smarrpublishers.com/

For history, Oak Meadow is also very detailed. Here is a sample of their 10th grade history:

http://www.oakmeadow.com/curriculum/sample-lessons/10-grade-ss-world-history.pdf

HTH

My oldest is almost totally independent, but some of this is him. If you are willing to spend 2 hours per week doing a discussion with her in history, lit and humanities then Tapestry of Grace could work. At the R level, buy the books in advance, show your child how to use the front to get weekly assignments, give your child their Student Activity Pages, and you don't see them until the end of the week.

Thanks! I will look at both. Never looked closely at Kolby...and I have used TOG in the past, but we used Classic. I am wondering how much it has changed. This child can not have any open ended assignments....and she is the type who needs to know what she is responsible for and when it ends! She will do her work, but does not want to do one extra thing...OR....she gets sucked into the research vortex and every other subject falls months behind!

We really need to get on track with something....and STAY ON TRACK until we are finished.....

Faithe, I'll commiserate slightly and say that if you can't find what you need in a package, the back-up plan is to pick individual things you can chunk up like that and make the chunks (yes, 160+ days) for every single subject. Some things are easier to chunk than others. I've been putting off doing ours for this coming year. There are some things that come *close* for a kid like this. I've been looking at some Oak Meadow things, wondering if they might work nicely. Even if you didn't do the whole grade, you'd get those chunks for some of the subjects and maybe it would just leave a few easy ones for you to knock out yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only comment on the aspects of Tapestry of Grace (Redesined - digital) that may seem to suit your student. We have been using it for 7 years and I also have a high school student, as well as three others.

1. The lessons are clearly laid out. Yyou just have to select which assignments you want her to complete.
  2. As far as her getting sucked up in research and you not having the time to help guide her here, TOG does a good job of breaking research projects up into managable parts. I don't think you can/schould get away from independant research in high school.

My high schooler is largely independant, but we do have a weekly discussion (provided in TOG curriculum) so that:

• I can valadate all the hard work he has been doing,
  • he can share what he has been learning
  • to provide accountability
  • so I can find any holes in what he has studied,
  • so I can clear up any questions he might have,
  • to give him opportunity to share relevant thoughts and areas of personal growth that spring from Bible or other weekly readings...

We BOTH really enjoy this weekly time.