Menu

Help! Need grammar for 5th grade

sncstraub

Ds9 will finish FFL-4 this year, so I need to decide what to use in the fall. I've been looking at R&S, Voyages in English ($$$ - sheesh!), and Hake/Saxon so far.

My major concerns are these:

- Diagramming. We must do diagramming. Do all of these do diagramming?

- How much of my time does it take? I have 3 littler ones, 2 of them doing school and a busy-bee toddler, so my hands-on time is limited.

- How thorough is it?

Right now I'm rather leaning toward Hake because it looks like ds9 could handle it on his own. But how thorough is it compared to other curricula? I do need to maximize my time, but I don't want to sacrifice quality/thoroughness terribly.

Other choices I should be looking at? And if you've had a student transition from FLL to one of these programs, did they go right in at 5th grade level?

Thanks!!

Christy

I'm switching this year also. My current curriculum only went to 4th grade. I have ended up ordering Soaring with Spelling and Vocabulary, WInning with Writing, Growing with Grammar and Digging into Diagramming. They have good reviews and are at a good price. Also, it seems as though they can do a lot of the work independently.

Another vote for Hake as being extremely thorough. Not the most exciting stuff -- but thorough to the nth degree. There are diagramming exercises at the end of most review sets. However, as your ds is completing FLL4, though, I wanted to mention that you might want to look at level 6 of Hake, as opposed to level 5. Level 5 assumes no prior formal grammar experience.

Another vote for Hake as being extremely thorough. Not the most exciting stuff -- but thorough to the nth degree. There are diagramming exercises at the end of most review sets. However, as your ds is completing FLL4, though, I wanted to mention that you might want to look at level 6 of Hake, as opposed to level 5. Level 5 assumes no prior formal grammar experience.

Thank you for mentioning that I ought to look at Level 6. I wondered about that but short of looking through the whole book, I wouldn't have known.

I don't care that it's not so exciting - we use Saxon math, so that's nothing new. I just want it to be thorough and independent.

Thank you all for your replies!

I used Easy Grammar this year. It doesn't follow traditional diagramming (draw a line, divide subject/predicate, etc.) but still labels parts of speech in each sentence by crossing out prepositions first, finding subject, verb, d.o., predicate adjective, etc. It took me a while to switch gears with the diagramming style, but I really like crossing out the prepositional phrases. Makes it much easier for my kiddos (4th & 6th grade) to find the correct subject in complex sentences.