Menu

What level of AAR to start with?

TLovesT

I'm interested in slowly starting AAR with my 3 year old son. My question is which level to start him in. Thanks to leapfrog, he already knows all of his alphabet letters by sight and the sounds they make, and can identify the starting sounds of words when asked. I'm wondering if Pre-reading is too much review? or a good starting place?

Thank you,

- Tina

We are doing pre now.

If given several words, can he pick out the ones that rhyme? That is one thing I've seen stressed in pre that you didn't mention.

Have you looked at the 5 pre-reading skills? How is he doing on that?

One idea. You know you will be using AAR1. You might get that, and if he struggles get Pre.

Do pre-level for sure. Mine all knew their basic sounds from the frog before we began AAR pre-level at ~3.5, and yes, letter recognition and sounds are a large part of pre-level but the real meat of the the pre program, IMO, is the phonemic awareness activities and games. You may want to do pre-level fairly quickly, but I definitely don't think you should skip to level 1 with a 3yo.

I would recommend either Deluxe or getting Ziggy from Amazon. My daughter thinks he is the best toy ever! Within 14 hours of them being introduced, she declared him her best friend and that includes a 12-hour nighttime sleep.

I have observed that she is much more comfortable figuring out loud something with Ziggy who knows less than her, than with me, the all-knowing parent. Ziggy spends a lot of time attentively watching her color. (involves moving my hand occasionally while my elbow is propped on the table) He also tries to eat her hair (I don't why)

I did Pre with my 3 year old, and she flew through it because she already knew 95% of her letters and sounds. However, like PPs said, there are other important things in pre. If you child can rhyme easily and clap out syllables, then you could probably start with Level 1. If not, go with Pre and use it at the speed your child needs. You can resell it easily!

If cost is any issue at all, I would suggest skipping Pre-. We always just did little games with rhyming words or "What letter does _____ start with?" AAR1 goes through all the letter sounds again before starting any CVC words or blending. It sounds like you might fly through the Pre-reading level *very* quickly. Given the age of your child and current skill level, I suspect that learning will come quickly and easily.