Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week sixteen

Robin M

I'm a few weeks behind on posting, but I'm still keeping up. In the past few weeks I've finished:

13. Robin Hood (Green) (***): I read this one aloud to my son. He loved it.

14. Started Early, Took My Dog (*****): This is the last (for now, hopefully not forever) in Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie series. I adore Kate Atkinson and love this series. I hurried to finish this one before the release of her newest (see #16 below).

15. Redwall (****): Another read aloud. Both my son and I enjoyed this one.

16. Life After Life (*****): Kate Atkinson's latest, and it was just as good as I had hoped it would be. Very clever premise, flawlessly executed.

So far this year:

1. Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey (****)

2. The Great Gatsby (*****)

3. The Night Circus (*****)

4. A Study in Scarlet (****)

5. The Red Pyramid (***)

6. The Throne of Fire (***)

7. The Perks of Being A Wallflower (****)

8. The Serpent's Shadow (***)

9. D'Aulaire's Norse Myths (****)

10. Odd and the Frost Giants (****)

11. King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table (***)

12. A Storm of Swords (****)

13. Robin Hood (***)

14. Started Early, Took My Dog (*****)

15. Redwall (****)

16. Life After Life (*****)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin, I hope your new copy arrives soon. So dissappointing! As soon as I read your post I grabbed my copy of part three, separate book, and made sure it had all it's pages.

I finished Nora Robert's Sacred Sins. Quite good, not sure that I ever read that one. I will read the second one soon.

I am trying to finish The Hangman's Daughter. It is my Prime leading library book from March. I need to finish it so I don't miss my April selection.

Finished a few more this week:

#23 Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin - A read-aloud with dd. A good story of finding contentment with what we have.

#24 Commodore Perry in the Land of the Shogun by Rhoda Blumberg - DD read this when learning about Japan, and I decided to read it myself after reading an interesting blog post on the subject a couple of weeks ago. The author seemed to be quite balanced in her treatment of both sides (Japan and the United States). A good intro to an event I didn't know much about.

#25 The Tempest by William Shakespeare - Skimming through Isaac Asimov's commentary (in Asimov's Guide to Shakespeare - sadly out of print but available used) aided my understanding and appreciation of it. Are there any good movie versions?

I'm assuming that all the copies Amazon has of the Hardback are the same run and all have the same issue so decided to go through the publisher. They know me from doing reviews for them so keep fingers crossed.

I got a misprint from amazon once, returned it to amazon and got a new copy from them that was just fine. So, if the publisher is slow to respond, there is hope!

Also, I finished book 1 of 1Q84. Definitely getting more ominous. Note -- there may be spoilers in my next paragraph, depending on how far along you are in the book....

The end of book 1 reminded me of something I read in a different book earlier this year. Daughters of Copper Woman is a written version of oral history, myth, & folklore from NW coast natives. In the back of the book, the author very clearly stated that copying or using any of the stories was strictly prohibited always because the stories belong to the teller & the teller only & it inherently changes the story when it is written down, esp. when it is written, then copied or passed on. (She had special permission from the groups to take their oral stories & put them into writing, but that does not mean she can extend the permission to others.) I wish I could remember the exact wording she used. Anyway, the statement about the Little People maybe being mad about being put into writing very much reminded me of the author's warnings in the back of the other book. Seeing that similarity mentioned was interesting to me (esp. since 1Q84 talks about the oral tradition of history of the Gilyaks, Ainu, and American Indians).

Thanks for these thoughts!