Menu

Hand strengthening/fine motor work activities

Uff Da!

I have a little guy who is struggling with fine motor. Other than Legos and playdough what are some fun things I can do with him. He's little and there isn't a rush on acquiring skills but he wants to do more and physically can't at this point.

I haven't done any of these myself but have heard other mamas have their kids practice picking things up with small tongs sp??? Pom poms and similar things. I've also heard to strengthen the fingers, moms have had their kids use the clips you can buy at the dollar store to keep chip bags closed. Apparently having the child squeeze the clip open and closed (probably could use clothes pins) increases finger strength.

Haven't done these...so I don't know what games to implement them with. :bigear:

HTH's

My kiddos loved it when I put cornmeal (or salt or...) in a cookie (or plastic) tray. Then we'd all take turns suggesting a shape or something like "3 lines" and we'd all draw them with our fingers.

I agree with the clothes pins, too. :)

All of the above. Confessions of a Homeschooler and 2 Teaching Mommies websites have pages in their printables to use with clothes pins. I.e. clip the correct letter/number/shape/color. So you are working on recognition and motor skills. Other things:

Poke pages: using a toothpick, poke along an outline on paper. (Works best when paper is on carpet.

Lacing

Geoboards/rubber bands

Transferring pony beads with tweezers.

Using an eye dropper to transfer colored water.

Fingerprinting, paint bags(drawing on a zip lock bag filled with paint)

My son dislikes coloring, but enjoys mazes and dot-to-dots. The Never Bored books have a nice variety of puzzles and paper crafts. He loves the puzzles he can cut out and assemble. We started handwriting on a large wall-mounted dry erase board and have just started using pencil and paper. After initial reluctance, he now likes writing and has mailed letters to his Grandmas.