Menu

Is there anything like Lightning Lit but for upper elementary? Also, what books are you having your 5-6 graders read?

HappyGrace

I think I may use Further Up & Further In (Chronicles of Narnia books) for my 5th grader in the fall. I purchased all the Chronicles of Narnia books. They are the full color collector's editions from Harper Trophy and they are beautiful! We will be studying Ancients, too, so she will also read books to go along with it. This is what I'm thinking about anyway.....not set in stone though.

I think I may use Further Up & Further In (Chronicles of Narnia books) for my 5th grader in the fall. I purchased all the Chronicles of Narnia books. They are the full color collector's editions from Harper Trophy and they are beautiful! We will be studying Ancients, too, so she will also read books to go along with it. This is what I'm thinking about anyway.....not set in stone though.

DD is going to be reading the Chronicles of Narnia (doing FUFI for lit study), plus the first Sassafras Science Adventures book, Black Beauty, Brighty of the Grand Canyon, Misty of Chincoteague, The Black Stallion (all the horse books go with equine science), Castle Diary, The Midwife's Apprentice, and Kon-Tiki and I (for history).

Usually she reads several books concurrently, because I like the CM idea of slowly digesting good literature versus gulping it down and moving on. I also plan on reading several books to her throughout the year, like Tom Sawyer, The Good Master, and The Kite Rider. We school year-round, too, so we have more time to read than we might if we used a traditional 36 week school year.

My 6th grade reading list, not including religion and some other stuff.

Junior Classics Set

Children’s Homer

Outlaw’s of Ravenhurst

Narnia

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Kidnapped

Captains Courageous

Heidi

Swiss Family Robinson

Arabian Nights

Adventures of Robin Hood

The Prince and the Pauper

"Ready Readers" is similar to Lightning Lit - read a whole book, then do analysis at the end. Level 2 is a guide for parents to lead discussion with their kids, but I'm not sure if 3 is the same or is written to the student w/ worksheets (like LL).

We're trying out Moving Beyond the Page lit units next. I like that the analysis/critical thinking is done daily instead of one big chunk at the end. It's also more than discussion - uses application as well through activities, projects, and worksheets.