Menu

First grade math

mhaddon

So my K son completed K12 math this year and I really didn't like it at all. He's pretty good at doing mental addition/subtraction. He also is great at word problems. I am not sure what math to continue on with. I had thought about Right Start level B, Horizons, or Singapore. He would rather get through the math and be done so I'm not sure if RS will be too long? I want him to have a strong math basis so I'm not sure Horizons will be too easy. Thoughts? Thanks!

Singapore and MEP are excellent programs: I would suggest one, or both, of those, before RightStart. MEP has the advantage of being free! Singapore is more open-and-go; MEP offers an outstanding understanding of number and how numbers work.

If you do supplement with MEP, you can just have the child do the workbook problems and not go through the full lesson plans (which are 30+ minutes of teaching). If MEP is your primary program, you'd probably want to start off doing the full plans -- there is a lot of support and information in them.

ETA-- boscopup above is spot on -- Singapore is short & straightforward. Very useful when you are teaching multiple children, or have tinies around!

We are using Singapore and just added Miquon, not because we needed it, but because my dd6 loves math. We only tried Right Start A, but it wasn't a hit at our house, although she did enjoy some of the games that came with it. I looked at Horizons but decided SIngapore would be a better fit and I've been happy with the decision.

We did Miquon last year in first grade and added Singapore to it this year; they're a good combination, and my son loves them both. He likes patterns and mental math and little tricks, so they fit for him; my daughter is not so much a fan of any of that, so she found Miquon kind of annoying (even though the hands-on with the c-rods should have, in theory, appealed to her), and we never tried Singapore with her (I think it would annoy her).

I just went looking for Singapore books for next year and found that Rainbow Resource had them for the same prices as the Singapore website. The best price I found was at a convention last spring, because some big discount homeschool store had all of the stuff there, no shipping, plus special discounts. I've found some of the textbooks on classifieds, here or at homeschoolclassifieds.com, too, though finding the workbooks there would be a huge bonus.