Menu

Survey about multiplication table software

MamaSheep

Evidently my husband got tired of listening to me gripe about software that's supposed to help kids learn their multiplication facts, so he's decided to have his company create some. He has put up this survey to get other parents' thoughts on the subject, and I wondered if anyone here would want to throw in their two cents. :) There's also a drawing for Amazon gift certificates for those who participate, and those are always handy for homeschoolers.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TRLCJN7

I can also pass on any thoughts you want to share here to him. The request I have made is for a strong visual component to help people who remember things by visual association, like our daughter. She can tell me the name of every little furry critter in her computer games, along with a lengthy list of statistics about each, but she has a bear of a time remembering information that doesn't have a visual component.

Done! Also look into dyscalculia and related problems to see if it prompts ideas on other features to add. My DD11 isn't dyscalculic, though she has many of the symptoms/problems. Memorizing math facts is one of them.

DH was also this way when he was a kid. He went on to double-major in mechanical engineering and math, so he didn't let it stop him. He says the math facts generally come with time, though it will take a while. So lots of FUN practice and exposure will help this along.

Tell your DH thanks! Oh, and when the email comes announcing it's ready what email address will it be from? (Ask him to put that info in the survey, if he can.)

I think that's a perfectly legitimate question. It's the sort of thing I'd get hung up on myself, only I didn't catch it when I skimmed the thing. Sorry.

I asked, and he says he was thinking 1 is most important. I'll remind him to be more specific next time. :)

I would love to see the ability to memorize the tables up through 15x15. We are in Classical Conversations and that's what they teach, but there is *nothing* out there that goes that high. We've used Timez Attack and Times Tales to learn up through 12x12, but we've just had to muscle through the 13s, 14s, and 15s using flashcards and drill sheets. Also, Timez Attack stresses out one of my kids.

I'll pass that on to him too, though I think he's only planning to go up to 12s. He has a whole host of cute little "monsters" designed but I think he's about reached his limit on that and I'm not sure he would be excited about designing more of them. Especially without funding already lined up. The colors and appendages of the monsters relate to the numbers in the multiples and the product to provide a visual memory hook. I'm interested to see how it all turns out.

Guest submarines

It is important for me to have a relaxed mode, where there are no scores and timers. Second, I'd love to have a peaceful, mellow visual environment, rather than arcade / shooting type games.

It is important for me to have a relaxed mode, where there are no scores and timers. Second, I'd love to have a peaceful, mellow visual environment, rather than arcade / shooting type games.

I've passed that on to him. He thinks two of the three planned activities will fit that description. There's an arcade-style game, but it involves punching water balloons, not shooting anyone.

• 1 month later...