Menu

IEW: TWSS or SWI B?

For us, SWI-B worked great. But I watched it along with my DS, so I could then help him if he got stuck while doing the assignments. *I* needed more hand-holding than the TWSS gives, plus having the source materials and assignments laid out (in SWI) was what I wanted, instead of doing it myself (TWSS).

TWSS was IEW's original product, then they came out with the SWIs to provide even more support for their users who want it. (Sort of like SWB's standalone WWE hardback guide that teaches the teacher vs. the 4 scripted WWE paperback workbooks that contain both student and teacher pages, if you will.)

If you follow IEW's schedule, the SWI videos are usually around 30 or 45 minutes about once a week or even every two weeks, depending on the lesson. So the videos are integral to the SWI program, but they're not too time consuming. More time is spent on the writing assignments themselves.

For us, SWI-B worked great. But I watched it along with my DS, so I could then help him if he got stuck while doing the assignments. I needed more hand-holding than the TWSS gives, plus having the source materials and assignments laid out as in SWI was what I wanted. TWSS was IEW's original product, then they came out with the SWIs to provide even more support for their users who want it. (Sort of like SWB's standalone WWE hardback guide that teaches the teacher vs. the 4 scripted WWE paperback workbooks that contain both student and teacher pages, if you will.) If you follow IEW's schedule, the SWI videos are usually around 30 or 45 minutes about once a week or even every two weeks, depending on the lesson. So the videos are integral to the SWI program, but they're not too time consuming. More time is spent on the writing assignments themselves.

hmm...would having the themed writing pack help give that guidance, after watching TWSS? Or would you still say better to just do SWI?

hmm...would having the themed writing pack help give that guidance, after watching TWSS? Or would you still say better to just do SWI?

Either the full TWSS or an SWI would set you up very well to do a theme pack next. We did SWI-B (previously very writing-reluctant 10 year old, strong reader, young 5th grader) and then the ancients theme set, and I don't regret doing it that way.

This isn't what you asked, but for other future readers: Some people do a theme pack as their first go at IEW products, because TWSS and SWI are both kinda pricey, but I'd recommend either TWSS or SWI before a theme pack. The theme packs do have teacher guides, but I think theme-only users would miss too much of the best parts of the program if they skip TWSS or SWI.

We used SWI B without TWSS. My kids were around 6th, 7th grade. Maybe 7th and 8th... I just cannot remember at the moment.

Anyways, they were definitely reluctant writers, 2e type.

Once I got the notebooks set up and figured out the scheduling, it went very smoothly. We did watch together at first so I knew what to expect but toward the end, DS would do it independently. In one section the expectations suddenly ramp up and I did have to find some outside help at that point, but we got through that just fine. Younger son did about 90% of the program. My older son did about 70% but has been going strong with writing since then. They later did most of WWS 1 and Figuratively Speaking and transitioned into public high school honors LA classes without problem. They have strong verbal skills which have helped them in their classes.

If you go to their website and look in the "magalog" on page 6-7 (I believe) there is a chart as to how they suggest students progress through the levels. It's very helpful! I suggests doing Level A, Level A Continuation, a Level A theme, etc.

I bought TWSS and SWI A for next year. I *think* I plan on getting the B continuation on DVDs for DS as well. But they are $$$. DS took B at a co-op this year and I paid $135 for the class plus gas, etc. I figure that I need some hand holding so I'll buy the DVDs the first year that *I* teach it but I also bought TWSS so I can figure out what I'm doing so I can just teach them myself. A friend said that after a year or two a parent will understand it and feel pretty confident with it. I also figured that I could sell the DVD's when I'm done to get a little money back too.

I posted on another thread about this. In my not so humble opinion, if you want to do a theme pack first instead of an SWI, then you need the TWSS. The TWSS will teach you the method and the theme pack will then give you the laid out topics.

You can use and SWI without the TWSS as long as you at least watch the video at some point so you know how to help if needed.