Menu

New here...need advice...going independent next fall!!

SeeSchells

Hi!

We have been homeschooling since 2008, but always with a charter school. Next fall we are finally going independent. I am excited! Ready to revamp the way we do school and view education in general. I do like a lot of the curric we are using. However, I have never really worried about finances because our charter school paid for it all. I would love some advice/suggestions on what could be changed out for something comparative but less expensive! Here is what we have been doing:

4th grader::

FLL 4 (Need something new for next year...thinking Easy Grammar?)

WriteShop D (Love it, but thinking we need something less expensive)

AAS 4 (I love it, kids get tired of using the letter tiles. Need something less expensive. Curious about Rod & Staff spelling).

Reading provided by the school. (I hate it so suggestions welcomed. He is a reluctant/late reader. Considering Total Lang. Plus or CLE readers.)

Song School Latin (Lively Latin next year?)

Math U See Gamma (love it and plan to keep it)

History (We are MOH lovers, but did my own American unit study this year while waiting for MOH 4. If MOH4 doesn't come out by fall I need a replacement!)

AiG science (I love it, but am horrible about implementing the projects. Need something that a non-science mom can use and make fun for kids).

1st grader:

FLL 1 (plan to continue FLL with both my younger ones)

Writeshop Jr. A (Wondering if its even needed this at this point?)

AAS 1 (Cheaper...Rod & Staff spelling?? I like rules based spelling)

AAR 1 (We got to a point when we were just using the readers not really doing the lessons)

Song School Latin

Math U See - Alpha

History & Science Same as 4th grader

Pre -K

Math U See PreK

AAR PreK

Reading Eggs

Starfall (Yes just keeping her out of my hair, but she loves it and is learning :)

Thanks for any help, suggestions, advice, likes/dislikes etc...all thoughts welcomed!!

(and totally off topic, but how do I add a "signature" to this thing??)

I think Rod and Staff is a solid spelling program and it is rule-based. I would probably just use AAS for your first grader if you already own it from your older child though. Rod and Staff does not have a spelling curriculum for first grade. They focus on phonics instruction for this level. It starts in second grade.

For your 4th grader, CLE reading would be a good choice. It is a great program. However, you could go cheaper just by using library books and doing looks of reading, narrating, and discussing.

If you don't want to do a lot of projects for science, then I really like Evan Moor Daily Science. It is inexpensive, covers a variety of topics each year, is very easy to do, and has about one hands on project a month. It is easy to supplement this program with library books if you wish to do so, but it can stand on its own.

For grammar I would look at Rod and Staff grammar. Or even cheaper is a free to download grammar that is very solid called KISS.

Hi!

We have been homeschooling since 2008, but always with a charter school. Next fall we are finally going independent. I am excited! Ready to revamp the way we do school and view education in general.

Congratulations!!!! :party:

4th grader::

FLL 4 (Need something new for next year...thinking Easy Grammar?)

WriteShop D (Love it, but thinking we need something less expensive)

AAS 4 (I love it, kids get tired of using the letter tiles. Need something less expensive. Curious about Rod & Staff spelling).

Reading provided by the school. (I hate it so suggestions welcomed. He is a reluctant/late reader. Considering Total Lang. Plus or CLE readers.)

Song School Latin (Lively Latin next year?)

Math U See Gamma (love it and plan to keep it)

History (We are MOH lovers, but did my own American unit study this year while waiting for MOH 4. If MOH4 doesn't come out by fall I need a replacement!)

AiG science (I love it, but am horrible about implementing the projects. Need something that a non-science mom can use and make fun for kids).

You could do Easy Grammar, plus Writing Strands. Your dc could probably do Level 4 (WS's books are experience levels, not grade levels). It will be different from WriteShop, but it will be good.

Spelling by Sound and Structure (R&S) is very good. The word lists aren't necessarily challenging, but the activities are.

You could also consider R&S for science. It is a textbook, but there are easy-to-do hands-on activities. Or you could consider doing Considering God's Creation with all of your dc.

1st grader:

FLL 1 (plan to continue FLL with both my younger ones)

Writeshop Jr. A (Wondering if its even needed this at this point?)

AAS 1 (Cheaper...Rod & Staff spelling?? I like rules based spelling)

AAR 1 (We got to a point when we were just using the readers not really doing the lessons)

Song School Latin

Math U See - Alpha

History & Science Same as 4th grader

IMHO, no, you don't need WriteShop Jr.

You don't really need spelling.

You don't need AAR, either.

Pre -K

Math U See PreK

AAR PreK

Reading Eggs

Starfall (Yes just keeping her out of my hair, but she loves it and is learning :)

Sounds good. :-)

(and totally off topic, but how do I add a "signature" to this thing??)

You go to your own profile and sleuth around. There's a thingie for doing your signature.

I don't have a lot of advice or suggestions, my oldest Dd is starting 2nd next year so I only have experience for Pre-K to 1st. I did learn one very valuable lesson last year. I started her K year using abeka readers for her reading. Reading was becoming a chore to her, so I decided to to try using real books instead (like frog and toad, nate the great, etc.). It made a night and day difference for her, she now enjoys reading. She started reading chapter books this year, which I am just thrilled with, and she has grown by leaps and bounds in her reading ability. So I thought I would just mention that as a possibility for reading. If it helps, we are loosly following the Sonlight Readers schedule. I plan on moving my Dd5 to reading real books a lot sooner than I did with my 7yo Dd.

Also about adding a signature. Just click on your user name at the top right of the screen, you should then see a bunch of options on the drop down menu. Click on "my settings" then on the left there will be a menu, click on "Signature." HTH