Menu

Ear medicine and uncooperative dog

Wendi

Our 1-year-old golden retriever, who's only been with us two months, has an ear infection. I noticed it early, apparently, so the vet said it should be easily cleared up. :hurray: All I have to do, he said, is squirt ear cleaner into his ear, place cotton balls over the ear opening, and gently rub. Then use the cotton balls to clean his ears. Wait at least twenty minutes, and then take the antibiotic, insert the slender tube completely into his ear, and pump the medicine in. Do this every day for five days, then continue the cleaning once a week in both ears to help prevent problems. Simple, right?

:huh: This dog weighs sixty pounds, and is incredibly strong when he doesn't want to do something. He's not used to lots of human handling, having been left alone in the backyard by his previous owner. The medicine is not going well.

Does anyone have any tips on how to administer ear medication to an uncooperative/scared large dog? I'd love to hear them.

Wendi

Try smearing some peanut butter on something mouth height (and cleanable). And while he's occupied licking off the goodness take care of his ear.

Warming the ear cleaning solution just a little (set it in some lukewarm water for a few minutes) helps make it less objectionable sometimes.

Approaching the ear from behind the dog's head helps sometimes. A lot of dogs will flinch/shy away if they see something coming at them.

But honestly, with some dogs . . . . you just have to learn to be very quick with ear cleaning and medicating.

We adopted a dog with severe ear infections last year. They said that the shelters don't have the ability to do the regular ear cleaning system, so they gave her *something.* It obviously worked well because the vet said that the infection was completely gone when we brought her in for a checkup a week or so later.

If you really can't get the medication into his ears, give your vet a call and ask if there is another alternative. Maybe you can use that mysterious *something* too.

It really takes two people on a dog that large. I have a lab, she's a wuss in general, but gets nippy when I treat her ears, she has issues to. I put a muzzle on her to clean them. I have ds hold her leash and stay behind her while she is in a sit position. Goldens are smart too. Don't get out the cleaners until you're ready, they know. I also talk gently to her and give her a treat when we're done.

Also whichever ear is worse, do it last. They don't get that we are trying to help.

I would also watch for other itching and signs of allergies. While dogs with floppy ears are notorious for ear problems, it can also be a sign of skin allergies. My dog is allergic to just about anything that blooms. She take benadryl in the spring and fall to help.