Menu

Oak Meadow Biology?

Anyone used this? I have the chance to get it at a great price, but am wondering how people like it. It seems to cover all the topics we need to cover for the state end of course exam, but not sure how WELL it covers them, if you know what I mean. The lack of tests/quizzes also makes me a bit nervous.

Which edition of Biology can you get? If you find out the copyright date, you can see which textbook goes with it, and that may be of some help to you. I have an older edition that uses a text (Holt, I think) with a polar bear on the cover, so if that turns out to be the version you're looking at, I can dig mine out and give you some info on it.

I bought it a while back, with the best of intentions, but we still haven't used it. :blush:

I can't say anything about whether it would meet the requirements of your state exam, but I can share our brief experience from a few years ago. My daughter started biology with OM and that Holt textbook, but she found the textbook very dry and a bit light. OM uses paper labs, which she didn't care for, so I picked up the Labpaq BK-1 biology kit for her. She switched to the Miller-Levine text for biology, and that was a much better fit.

I thought the textbook was good. I am not a biology person though. I don't do squishy.

The labs were nearly all paper labs and the few that weren't paper labs were arts&crafts (use pipe cleaners and beads to make a model of ______).

I would use a biology lab kit from somewhere else, but I think OM Biology was a fine course to use otherwise.

We'd be doing a biology lab co-op once a week, with 5 other kids. So the lab part is covered. But we need to cover things like cell theory (who knew there was a "theory" lol...I was a biology major in college for the first few years and I don't know what cell theory is), meiosis, mitosis, cellular respiration, genetics, evolution, difference between a scientific theory versus a law, etc.