Menu

Curriculum Plans for Next School Year. Is it Enough?

Okay, so I think I have my curriculum planned out for this upcoming school year. A little background. I pulled my now 11 year old out of school last year because he is severely dyslexic and they wanted to hold him back for the second time. Their interventions were a joke and he was not making any progress. This year we did Time for Learning and then I put together my own eclectic mix of stuff for the end of this year. We have also started the Saxon Phonics Intervention program and the AAS program these last few months. I wanted to really get him going this upcoming school year though, so do you think this plan is "enough"?

Reading - Hands On Unit Studies found online with interactive lapbooking/activities of the classics. We are doing Treasure Island right now.

Spelling - AAS. Level 2 and 3, may make it further throughout the year.

Phonics/Grammar - After we finish up the Saxon Phonics Intervention, I wanted to start him on a grammar program. I was thinking First Language Lessons.

Writing - We are currently using Writeshop Book C and would move on to Book D.

Science - Elemental Science Physics the Grammar Stage and coordinating science videos like Bill Nye.

History - Time Travelers CD'S New World Explorers and probably 1-2 more throughout the school year.

Math - Saxon 5/4 and possibly some videos from Khan Academy to go with it.

Art - He will be taking pottery and then graphic art classes locally as well as our art projects for history and reading.

Music - He will continue guitar lessons

I was also wondering if anyone had any suggestions of free and fun Bible curriculum?

It looks good to me. I suggest Simply Grammar for grammar rather than FLL. It still starts at the beginning, and is Charlotte-Mason style, can be done mostly orally if preferred (I selectively give DD writing from it, or make some of the exercises into worksheets). However, it assumes a bit older starting student, so might be a better fit with your son. The language can be a bit quaint, is the only drawback (I sometimes rephrase things as we go). There are picture studies, but no poetry to memorize.

That said, FLL can also be done at a bit of an accelerated pace. We started FLL 1/2 (the old edition) in second grade and did it in a year and a half.

You also don't have to wait until you're done with the phonics to start FLL, as the lessons are very short and don't add much time to the day, especially the early ones which are mostly oral.

It looks good to me. I suggest Simply Grammar for grammar rather than FLL. It still starts at the beginning, and is Charlotte-Mason style, can be done mostly orally if preferred (I selectively give DD writing from it, or make some of the exercises into worksheets). However, it assumes a bit older starting student, so might be a better fit with your son. The language can be a bit quaint, is the only drawback (I sometimes rephrase things as we go). There are picture studies, but no poetry to memorize.

That said, FLL can also be done at a bit of an accelerated pace. We started FLL 1/2 (the old edition) in second grade and did it in a year and a half.

You also don't have to wait until you're done with the phonics to start FLL, as the lessons are very short and don't add much time to the day, especially the early ones which are mostly oral.

Thanks! I will look into Simply Grammar as well.

I've only done FLL1, but I would not use it with an older child. From what I understand, FLL2 and FLL3 also go back to the beginning and review, so if you like the way FLL works, you could just start with 2 or 3.

FWIW, have you looked into Michal Clay Thompson for Grammar/LA? I am planning to use it in the future and I think it would work better with a visual type child than FLL.

I've only done FLL1, but I would not use it with an older child. From what I understand, FLL2 and FLL3 also go back to the beginning and review, so if you like the way FLL works, you could just start with 2 or 3.

FWIW, have you looked into Michal Clay Thompson for Grammar/LA? I am planning to use it in the future and I think it would work better with a visual type child than FLL.

I haven't, but I will check it out now. Thanks!