Menu

Apologia Gen. Science vs BJU Earth Science

I had been planning to use Apologia's General Science for 7th grade (son) next year, since we enjoyed using the elementary Zoology books this year. However, I have seen some negative comments/reviews about Apologia at the higher levels, so now I'm having second thoughts. Could I get your feedback on Apolgia's General Science and/or BJU's Earth Science? We're a sciency family (I have a BS in Biology, and husband has a master's in Organic Chemistry), so I would prefer something that is fairly rigorous.

Thanks again for your input!

I used BJU Earth/Space Science with my older son a few years ago (when he was in 7th grade). It was one of our favorite courses that we have done. BJU has since revised the text extensively, so I cannot speak directly about the new edition (although I have read on these forums that the revisions were improvements). We both learned so much about areas of science that are not often covered in high school courses (geology, meteorology, and of course, astronomy). I thought it was important and useful for my son to thoroughly cover those topics before entering high school. He will definitely go into a science-related field.

We did not use the dvds since I have a science background, too. I ordered the TE, student texts, and tests/keys. Then I spent several days going through the labs carefully to see which ones I knew we would/could do. THEN I ordered the materials I would need. I would recommend going this route instead of ordering a full kit. I use Home Science Tools for equipment and supplies.

I won't be much help with the General Science course because I am an Apologia nay-sayer. I love the elementary series, but the mid-high and high school levels do not appeal to me at all for a multitude of reasons. Have you looked at the General Science text?

If you have any more questions about BJU's Earth/Space science, I would be happy to answer them.

I won't be much help with the General Science course because I am an Apologia nay-sayer. I love the elementary series, but the mid-high and high school levels do not appeal to me at all for a multitude of reasons. Have you looked at the General Science text?

By all means, I really would love to hear what you don't like about Apologia for the middle and highschool levels. I have looked very briefly at the Gen Science text, but I haven't been able to study it for very long. Mostly I was planning on using simply because we were using the zoology books this year and have really liked those. If I remember correctly, it had some life science thrown in there as well. I am not as interested in that, because we did all 3 zoology books this year, and we've always been more life science/biology oriented, so it's about time we focused on more earth science topics.

I really love the way the BJU earth science text looks, but Cathy Duffy's review says it's pretty parent time-intensive, and it costs over twice what the Apologia set costs. If it's worth it, then I'll pay it and put the time into it, but if it doesn't matter that much, I would probably just stick with Apologia.

My ds has been doing General Science this year and I am considering BJU earth science next year (or physical science?). Ds is finding General Science boring and easy. For tests, he basically memorizes the module review questions and writes the answer on the test. The experiments are a big "why bother" so I'm using them to teach him how to do a lab report. Most of them, you already know what is going to happen or he's done them before in another science program. For example, last week, they had the students blowing out a jug filled with water to find out lung volume. He did that in 2nd grade. We looked briefly at Physical Science for next year and felt the same. Not challenging enough and the experiments are lousy. My current second grader has done some of them this year with Apologia astronomy. We're either jumping ship and going to BJU (with the DVD's because I don't have the time to teach it) or advancing him to the high school series (such as Chemistry for 7th grade) just to try to get him a little challenged.

Beth

By all means, I really would love to hear what you don't like about Apologia for the middle and highschool levels. I have looked very briefly at the Gen Science text, but I haven't been able to study it for very long. Mostly I was planning on using simply because we were using the zoology books this year and have really liked those. If I remember correctly, it had some life science thrown in there as well. I am not as interested in that, because we did all 3 zoology books this year, and we've always been more life science/biology oriented, so it's about time we focused on more earth science topics.

I really love the way the BJU earth science text looks, but Cathy Duffy's review says it's pretty parent time-intensive, and it costs over twice what the Apologia set costs. If it's worth it, then I'll pay it and put the time into it, but if it doesn't matter that much, I would probably just stick with Apologia.

I think Beth answered your question about Apologia's General Science quite well. :) I try to avoid critiquing Apologia too much; it definitely fills a need in the broad homeschool community, and I deeply respect the author's heart for science. The texts are just not a good fit for our family...that is my go-to line. But if you want to read more, I did make some posts about it once upon a time:

http://forums.welltr...sical-sciences/

And Cathy Duffy was correct. BJU mid-high science does take a lot of time. But again, we are the type of family that puts math, science, and English first...and everything else fits in when it can. So we (meaning older son and I) did not mind spending an hour or so a day on Earth/Space science. And I felt the money was well spent.

My oldest used Apologia General for 7th and enjoyed it. In fact, it sparked a love of archaeology for her that has continued throughout high school. She went on to do Apologia Physical, but not the high school Apologia sciences.

My youngest used BJU Earth and Space for 7th. She really enjoyed Earth and Space and I enjoyed teaching it. BJU science texts for middle and high school are challenging. They are not as "open and go" as Apologia. I heard a speaker a few years ago say that Apologia assumes there is no teacher and BJU assumes there is a science major teaching. For me anyway, BJU does take some prep. But, we have used with success and joy BJU Earth and Space and BJU Chemistry.

Neither of my dc liked the chatty and wordiness of Apologia jr high and high school texts. They have friends who love them and rave about their science studies. But, both of mine wanted a more "direct, get down to business" type text.

As a side note, so far, we have chosen Science Shepherd for BIology, Hewitt for Physics, Castro for Marine Biology, and Abeka for Physical Science.

Bethben, where can I find the DVD's for the BJU Earth Science? I don't see them on their website.

You can find them here. My hesitancy with this program is that the DVD option is a rental. You can't actually buy the DVD's. I have 2 more children past my 7th grader and I don't think it's unreasonable to want to buy the DVD's for that price. The cost of this program every year is making me reconsider it.

Beth

Anyone know if there is a nice medium between Apologia and BJU? I'd rather not go down the public school textbook route because just trying to get all the pieces together overwhelms me. I also don't have the time or energy to teach my ds science. He's really got to learn it on his own. I feel like there's only one self teaching option and I'm concerned that it will kill my son's interest in science. Granted, this is a boy who doesn't get excited about much, but I'd at least like to challenge him.

Beth

Anyone know if there is a nice medium between Apologia and BJU? I'd rather not go down the public school textbook route because just trying to get all the pieces together overwhelms me. I also don't have the time or energy to teach my ds science. He's really got to learn it on his own. I feel like there's only one self teaching option and I'm concerned that it will kill my son's interest in science. Granted, this is a boy who doesn't get excited about much, but I'd at least like to challenge him.

Beth

For Biology, I think SS is a nice medium between Apologia and BJU. For physical science, I found Abeka to be a good option.

I have not personally used Alpha Omega Press sciences, but I know some IRL folks who like it.

We are currently using BJU Earth Science online. DD is enjoying it, which is a surprise since she hated all science a year ago. Then we were introduced to BJU Life Science online. After a year of that, we both agreed we were continuing with BJU online, so we tried Earth and Space next. It is rigorous, but doable, and I do almost no teaching. (I'm not a science person, which is why I ordered the online version.)

As for cost, I ordered the $99 deal in December (and we do the courses Jan-Dec) and paid less than $10 for the textbooks used online.

• 2 weeks later...

For Biology, I think SS is a nice medium between Apologia and BJU. For physical science, I found Abeka to be a good option.

I have not personally used Alpha Omega Press sciences, but I know some IRL folks who like it.

What do the abbreviations stand for with SS? Thanks :)